Saturday, July 26, 2014

Ta Da!

Fourteen years ago, before I retired, I was pretty much a whiz with electronics.  At that time, we had the forerunner of today's compact CD.  It was called a laser disc, and it was about the size of a 33 1/3 record album.  That replaced our text books.

A lot of our teachers had problems using the disc and machines.  They were supposed to call on the librarians for help.  The problem there was that the librarians didn't know what they were doing. 

I had figured out that if we had these machines and that gave us a TV as well, we could hook up our own VCRs meaning we didn't have to get to the library quickly to sign up for one of the three VCR/TV sets.  Freedom with movies that we could check out from the regional educational service center.

I was often all over the building getting things to work.  I was pretty good with the computers too.  Now, our technician in the building wasn't always so sure because I took the attitude that I really couldn't break the computer.  I did however erase a few commands when I would get into the deep part of the operating system.  But it could always be fixed again.

Now technology has changed so much, and I don't feel  comfortable doing much more than pushing play on the DVR system.  Hooking one up - no way.  I have tried on the one in the bedroom, and it still doesn't work.  HD and DVR is just too much for me - plus I don't have the physical flexibility that I had 13 years ago.

But I wasn't going to let the Dell get to me.  First it really wasn't something I did wrong, and second, Dave is in California (gee - who isn't!) visiting family.  I knew what the problem was.  I just had to figure out how to fix it.

I completely disabled (thought about erasing it completely) AVG.  Then I got into the Control Panel (dangerous ground) and looked into the internet part.  I did a system restore that put me back to the point where I got the computer.  That meant I had to re-install Office. 

I didn't re-install Firefox.  It isn't important on that computer.  It is to be the backup for my embroidery files.  So I will go to Cloud to see if I can download some of the embroidery files that I need on a computer.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve for getting the programs I want on there, but I will try.

So to some extent, even though I have been left in the dust by technology, I still can putter along.  And there is always Dave waiting in the wings to save me.

No comments: