Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Almost boring

After the excitement, both good and bad, around here for the last few days, I almost feel a let down today. There is no pending disaster. There is no elevaing good news. It is just a normal day. Simone is ok and the sun is shining beautifully.

I know I have to get to the grocery store today. I really don't want to go - on so many levels! Not only do I hurt walking the isles, but, well the elephant, or in reality the pig, in the room makes me not want to go. I guess I am being reactive, but this flu thing has me a bit shaken.

When they first began talking about it, I was whisked back to the days in the early 70's of teaching biology. Texas had just adopted a new book, and in it was a section about the impending swine flu possible epidemic. I had a student that I got to make posters from the pictures in that section, so every year when I would get ready to put up bulletin boards I would remember not only that student but the worry that was around then. I would laugh a bit to myself about how we were so worried then. Now it is reality.

Don't get me wrong. I am not completely petrified of this thing - but the news today of the toddler who died here catch my attention. The child came from Matamorous, Mexico, and was transferred from a Brownsville hospital to a hospital here. But this flu is particularly bad for the young and the old. Well - I'm old!! Enough of that.

Tomorrow things pick up again. My long awaited new back door will be installed. I am pretty excited about that. It is really nice. It should be. I cannot believe how much that baby cost me. But it was the one I wanted. We will have the contractors from H*me D*pot install it. That means they will completely rebuild the door frame and threshold. They did out front door, and it is wonderful. It fits so beautifully and is so energy efficient.

We will be headed out to the SSB this weekend. One of the things we will do it mount the flag pole on the house so we can fly the flag I ordered for G's birthday. It is his great grandfather's brand. It looks something like this:
)-(
1854

He is so excited (as excited as he ever gets) about having that brand flying over that property again. It is really kind of neat.

Well I need to get back to the everyday things around here -whatever they are - and listen to the news bite about the additional cases of flu here in Texas. Great!

Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I had to go to Wal-Mart yesterday and I worried about flu germs too as one person in our county has it. What if she shopped at Wal-Mart? What if she used the same cart I used? Put hand sanitizer on my hands the minute I got back to the car and washed them when I got home. I suppose the germiest place would be a hospital or doctors office right now, so I am waiting until June to go see my Doc.

The flag sounds wonderful!!! My Daddy's cattle didn't have brands--they had ear tags. Guess because our cattle didn't roam? They pretty much stayed fenced in...unless the electricity went off and the electric fence failed then we heard cow mooings and heavy hoof sounds in the middle of the night as they wanted to surround the house. Many a time...had to get up and round-up cows in the middle of the night. Not good.