Friday, April 24, 2009

Unknown

I know. This is yet another post about a dog. Those of you that have close dog companions will understand. Those of you who are not as fortunate will not understand.

Simone had another relatively bad night last night. These "spells" used to come about every six months or so. When she would be checked, there was nothing remarkable that would cause her problems. This time, the "spells" are coming about every other day.

She was pretty much on her own yesterday since the painters were in the house all day. She would seem just fine, then she would start "licking air." That would happen over and over. When she went out for her last potty break, she was fine. She did her laps around the yard,

When she came in, it was back to the air licking. That went on from 10PM to 1AM. It was then, and I guess this speaks volumes for my housekeeping, she vomited up 2 socks and a knee high. I couldn't believe it. She was in the bedroom, and I thought I had scoured it looking for anything she would try to ingest. But there it was. Visible evidence.

I took her to the vet today. We decided on the x-rays this time. The vet and I neither expected anything. But we were wrong. She has a large mass that is distenting her abdomen. It is very possibly a splenic tumor.

So I went on-line to google splenic tumors. The findings were not good. If that is what she has, and it is malignant, which most are, her days are limited. It is a fast growing cancer that begins in the blood vessels, so it spreads - fast.

She is to go back in Monday morning. This young vet doesn't do ultrasounds well. She tried, but couldn't get a good picture. It is surely there on x-rays though. So Simone's original doctor will be there to do the procedure.

Then we go from there.

She saw me through my cancer. I guess I'll be here for her as long as she needs me.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I'm so sorry. I thought at first it might be some sort of solvent (odor) the contractors are using that made her sick, but...I am just so sorry.