Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Extremes

Texas weather, like other places I am learning, is never predictable. Last night we had a toad strangler that stopped about 10PM. I heard the weatherman say that we would still be getting some showers from the Gulf, but G didn't hear that.

About 3AM I was awakened by the claps of thunder. I could hear the rain hitting the roof above the sound of the fan. Of course, Simone had left her kennel and was plastered next to the bed. I would doze off and be shaken awake by the thunder again. Then the power began to blink off and on. I was absolutely sure we would be without electricity in just a matter of time. I was pleasantly surprised when it remained on.

About 4 AM I decided I would check the rain recorded on the electronic rain gauge. That is an absolute necessity in the Burbs of Swampland! We had four additional inches. I thought about getting up to check the street, but I was just too lazy to do that. If Simone jumper into the bed with me, I would be pretty sure we had water in the house.

When we moved here 33+ years ago, flooding was never a problem. We could get these rains and the worst thing that would happen is the street up in front of Poe's house would become impassible, The lady on the corner who has lived here for 50+ years - even before our area was built into houses, said that there was a natural draw there. The center of that draw goes right to his front door.

Now, after we pumped a lot of water from the ground here and we are now surrounded by development, parts of our little city flood - with each heavy rain. They have been working diligently on retaining ponds to try to keep the flooding from happening. To me they are not of real use. When we get one of these monsoons that drops 10 inches (and this one did in 12 hours) those are going to get full, and then THEY will overflow.

G got up once to check on the street. It was over the curb and into the grass. Our stupid neighbor still had his little truck parked in its usual place in front of the house. I wonder if he got water in it? You would think that after his stepdaughter had a wheel stolen from her car they would park in the driveway which has plenty of room. They seem to only allow one car in the drive - but I'm off subject.

I wonder how many homes in our city got water in them. The first thing I heard on the news was that the bayou that cuts through the middle of our city was out of its banks. G went that way to work. He said it was barricaded, and the street that runs along it was still closed. I think we took this rain fairly well. I really think the flooding, if there was any, was minimal. I hope so.

It is now 9 and all the news stations are still covering the flooding. It is bad. It is so weird. A month ago, we were so far behind in rainfall. I think we are ahead now.

This school year has been a tough one for the schools. They had been in session for about a week when we experienced Ike. They have been making up some of those missed instructional days. The districts around here canceled school for today. I know they did it because the buses couldn't roll. But today is the beginning day of the mandated state testing. They are now going to have to make that up.

So hopefully we don't get any more rain. They say we got 7 inches - I recorded only 4. Regardless - no more please!

Peace.

No comments: