Wednesday, December 05, 2012

I wish I were a millionaire

And not just for the usual greedy reasons - although it would make life so much easier.

I wish I had an unlimited supply of money because I see so many in need.  Not only to I see people in need, but, as you probably have deduced, I see animals in need.  Both break my heart.

In today's paper, one of out billionaire sports figures (since I am not into sports I don't know/remember which team of what sport) took the children in Children's Protective Service to the big box toy/baby store.  He gave them a shopping basket, and let them get as many toys and the like as then could in somethings like 80 seconds.  The cost to him was something like less than $20,000.  Sounds like a bundle, but he certainly can afford it.  He also included a game console and a couple of games for each child.

I thought that was great.  Not only did those children get some toys, but I think they had a great time.  I would imagine that it was great fun to run through this big store.

My sewing club is taking in items for the veterans who have returned with severe wounds.  This group provides the basic toiletries and so on for the vets, but they also have things for the families.  I have some toys to take for that group.

Our women's group has a couple of things we want to do.  Last year we helped a group who works with teen girls who have found themselves pregnant.  The group works hard to be sure the girls complete school, and more importantly, don't get pregnant again.  This group is sometimes the only support these girls get.

There are so many other causes out there.  I give money to the Boxer rescue (go figure since that's where I got Simone), but the SPCA needs so much help too.  Well - there are a bunch of rescue groups around here I would love to support.  In fact there is one in little town by the SSB I try to help.

So this was a rather nonsensical post.  Sounds like - well I don't know what.  It is just what is on my mind today.  I guess I am partially "inspired" by the season and the fact that our assistant/student pastor is taking his second (third) cousins into his family home.  It is a girl 9 and a boy 16.  Their mother was going to die from cancer.  The grandmother was going to be their guardian -all set.  She suddenly died before Thanksgiving from pneumonia.  Life really can hit with a sucker punch - right?

So enough spewing without much thought.  Have a great day, and help someone who needs it.

1 comment:

JuJu said...

If only everyone felt like you did Karen. You are a good soul.

I love your heart.