Friday, November 05, 2010

Slow learner

I am thinking I could be called a slow learner in this case - realizing I am retired and can sleep late everyday!

G retired (the first time) before I did. When I would have haul out at 6, he would get up also. I thought that was so sweet. Now I'm thinking he didn't do it just for me, but that's beside the point.

So when I retired, and he was working again, I would get up with him. For the first five years, I would get up because I would be keeping a grandchild while the parents worked. Then through the cancer years, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, reconstruction I still got up when he got up. Now during those times, he would be getting up later because he was making sure I was OK. But I still thought it was my duty to get up with him.

I finally have come to the conclusion that I don't have to get up when he does. He is choosing to work. He talks retirement, and the whole family laughs at him. But I have gotten smart. I am retired. I don't have to get up at 6:30 anymore. So I don't.

That point was brought home to me today. Simone will bump the bed if we are asleep and she needs to go out. She was bumping the bed this morning at 8:30. I had a dim recollection that G told me she had been out and been fed this morning. He told me when I was still 3/4 asleep.

Simone was putting of a great show. I was sure she had not been fed since she didn't want to go out. But there was that dim memory. She was still begging in her passive-aggressive way. So I emailed G. Sure enough, she had been fed. He said I was still really asleep when he told me.

Anyway, I enjoy my later mornings these days. I will read until about 11:30, and then about 8:30 to 9 I will get up. It bothers me now if I have to get moving before that. But I will do it. Tomorrow Lady Bug is singing at the high school's FFA craft show. I will be there at 10:45. Means getting up a little early, but I will love doing it.

1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

I love sleeping in. Unless we have to go somewhere, then I can get my sorry butt out of bed, but mostly it gets to stay in bed until one of the cats wakes me up. They are my little alarm clocks.