Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Yes, I'm here

And I have been here all weekend, but C*mcast has not been since last Thursday. This has been horrible.

I thought I was having computer problems on Friday. I even deleted a program that I suspected of conflicting with my logging on. That wasn't the problem. My problem was one of those slow, insidious little things. I would get error messages that F*refox couldn't find the host. Then I would switch to M*crosoft, and it would fix things - somehow. Then it got to where it couldn't log on.

I fiddled with the modem on Saturday. It wouldn't respond to my sweet murmurs. I couldn't coax it into life. So I bit the bullet and called. I tried letting them send a refresh signal. Nothing. I was beginning to sweat a little.

I called. I was disconnected from the first person. The second tried deleting my modem and then reconnecting it. Nothing. So I had to have a technician come out. The first available appointment? Today between 2 and 5.

Well, the good news it that I am up and running. Thank heavens. When I went to my Y*hoo account, there were something like 350 messages. Most were ads from the groups, but even so.

I went to lunch with G and Daughter yesterday. I asked her how much her air card was. You know - it isn't really any more than my cable connection. I think I am going to change. Then I would have service at the SSB - even though it is s l o w. I know this from Son In Law's. But that's ok. I would have it on vacation this year too. I won't have to pay for internet at the hotels. Yea!

But more than anything - I am back in touch. I can respond when I am directed to a web site. Yes! Things are good.

Peace.

2 comments:

angela said...

My hubs says (I of course having the same kind of relationship with the computer as you do)--that a modem only has a life span of a year or two tops. But then when we used comcast it seemed more often than that. Ha ha. I just want the thing to work. Tell me where to put the oil.

Grandma K said...

I absolutely hate to give comcast any slack, but so far the modem has been ok. I previously had the router give up, and this time it was the cable from the outside.

I still think the panacea will be an air card. Think I'm fooling myself???

Thanks for the visit.