Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ready or not . . .

I would think that a 45 year old house that already needed work done on it, and has been vandalized to the point that it is uninhabitable would not be something that someone would want - at all. But that's not the case.

We put the lake property on the market just a few weeks ago. The agent has been showing it a lot. It is for sale completely "as is" which means all the broken glass on the floor along with all the wrecked furniture. We had a verbal offer almost right away, but it was $19,900 under our asking price - which is $35,000 below the taxing authority's evaluation. We declined that offer.

Then a woman came through with an offer that was $5000 less. It was contingent on her selling some property since no one in their right mind would loan money on our property! Not in that condition - like I said - uninhabitable.

She listed her properties yesterday with our agent. The agent went to see the acreage. She called to ask how to send us the contract, and said she saw the property. It is beautiful and not too far from the SSB. She thought we might just trade.

I talked to G about it. He is interested. So in addition to our trip to the SSB, and to see MIL (bah) we will go to see this property.

How do I feel about all this? I still am dreading selling the property. There is so much emotion. But that gets me into trouble. Even around here, keeping things for emotional reasons has my house cluttered. The SSB is sleek and smooth. There is very little there that is extraneous. We have some things that came from G's father's room, but not much. Most of that is things that hang on the walls.
But there is just so much that is my dad in that house. That house is his work.

Do I want more property? I don't know. There are seven acres there. It might be a good investment. My real feeling is I have to see it before I really decide on that.

Anyway, there is a contract on the house. We are accepting. It is set for closing in October. So, ready or not, a property that I thought would never sell is pretty much sold. I just have to accept it.

Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Probably any buyer is not interested in the house--only the property and will tear down the house.