Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sibling rivalry

When I got my two children out of the house, I thought that would be the end of sibling rivalry around this house. Well I was wrong about that as I think of it more. Now I not only have sibling rivalry, I have in-law rivalry. No one things they are getting their fair share.

But that's not what I had in mind when I thought about posting this. I really was thinking about pet rivalry - the children can be another time.

Simone is so loving to her "puppies" - the grandchildren, but I'm not at all sure about her love for Shadow. Two weeks ago, we went to Son's house for family dinner. Shadow is in his playhouse rather than my bathroom. We came home to find the playhouse had been pushed away from the wall a bit. I would like to think it was just curiosity, but I'm not at all sure.

Then there was the night Simone was way too close when I was trying to get Shadow. That resulted in a good clawing and biting. I was the victim.

I am really afraid that there could be a real confrontation between the two, and both would be losers to some extent. Shadow is so small compared to a Boxer's mouth, and Shadows claws are so sharp to a Boxer's rather protruding eyes - not to mention her nose.

So to give Shadow time to run and play, I let him out periodically. When I do, I put a baby gate in the doorway to the hall. I wait until Simone has decided to retreat to her crate in the bedroom. That is no way a punishment. In the past, she has spent the entire day in that crate. But now that Shadow is here, she is in there less.

When I do let Shadow out, Simone is right there at the gate, looking as forlorn as possible. You would think she had been banished forever. She has gotten to where she will go back to the crate. I'm glad because I don't feel nearly as guilty then.

I am really waiting for this kitten to become a cat. When he is bigger, they will have to meet. But I am waiting until he can make it to a chair or couch in one jump. Right now, he only makes the side and has to climb up. Eventually, even though I hate the thought, he will be declawed. I KNOW how bad of a surgery it is. I swore I would never have it done to a cat again, but I have just had all the furniture reupholstered. We had one cat that wasn't declawed, and he really shredded the furniture.
I also don't want Simone shredded. Shadow will be a house cat. If he goes outside, it will be in his playhouse. He will not be allowed to run free - ever.

So meanwhile, I try to control the rivalry. Perhaps I just attract it??

Peace.

No comments: