Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Bleeding money

There are times when it seems that we are just bleeding money - everything we do is at least 2 times what I expected.

We went to Walgreen's to get vaccinated for shingles.  My dad had them, and I know how terribly they hurt.  One of my daughter's friends had them recently.  He is an ass, but still I could see how much they hurt.  I really don't want to  find out for myself.  Well - guess what.  Since we don't have part D Medicare, they weren't covered by that, and our supplemental drug insurances didn't cover.  That wouldn't be so bad, except the injections were $ 215 (possibly more - G paid).  And that was for ONE!

We decided we would replace our 35 year old windows with something more energy efficient. I wanted to do the entire house which meant something like 16 windows.  He only wanted to do the front 6.  We (surprisingly) compromised and are doing 8.  I thought they would be cheap.  Nope. NO. The one in the dining room has a curved top, so that equals two windows, that have to be done in the Cadillac line.  The others, while still the same efficiency, are done in the bicycle line.  The dining room window(s) alone are half the price.  In fact that (those) windows are what I really thought we could do the entire house for.  S. U. R. P. R. I. S. E!

These are good windows.  They are the ones our neighbor had installed several years ago, and they love them.  My daughter had her whole house done by an individual.  I really don't know what brand of windows those are, and it was done by an individual and his son.  It was a cheap price.  We will see how they hold up.  Plus, she never gave me his number.

So we are paying half on about 30 minutes, and the other half when completed - in about two months!

I also went back to my preferred cell phone carrier.  I went ahead with a smart phone and hot spot.  I got the bill today.  I thought the lousy one I had was expensive.  This is almost twice.  Of course, the fee to begin will not be there, but OMG!  I may cancel the hot spot and go with satellite at the ranch.  Wow!

The injections I had a few months ago were, according to the bill, $63,000.  Then there was the Medicare discount of $62,500.  Anyway, my supplemental insurance won't cover the Medicare non-pay, so I owe $140 there!!!  I am so tired of paying after paying for insurance.

I know - all I am doing is moan/groan.  I'll get over it!

Peace.

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

it is really scary what doesn't get covered ..I need something to 'calm me' as Im claustrophobic when I put the sleep mask on..my plan won't cover anything like that..so? benedryl..

JuJu said...

You know what one of the worst parts about this post is? G was right!!! :-)

Cheyenne said...

And every year something gets taken away from our health insurance that was covered the year prior, yet the darn premium goes up.

I had shingles back in 2008 and they weren't pretty. I can be thankful though that they weren't as bad as they could have been. I did not take anything for them either...I did it the hard way and left them go away on their own.