Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Ah, geez

You know me - always jumping into the deep end head first without checking it all out.  Think I did it again - right on!

While checking the ten million emails on my Yahoo account (ALL embroidery sites), there was a message about the July 1 date where if you have any malware on your computer, you will not be allowed to log on to the internet.  I did that - and I am clean.  But, there was more information there about a password bank that gets your passwords off your computer so if you are hacked, they are not available.

You know me - I did it.  For the most part, it was really simple.  But there are two of us using this computer (darn), and since I have the memory of a sponge, which is none - no brain, I often forget passwords to simple places like Facebook, Gmail, and the like.  So that means I just give up and change those passwords. 

When I got to looking in my "vault" of passwords, and I have three gmail accounts and two Facebook accounts, there were something like nine or ten google accounts, and at least six Facebook ones all sitting there with their separate passwords.  Add that to the fact I use two different browsers since they seem to go down with regularity.  I can switch off between them.

Now - I knew I had a problem with what I recalled as my Facebook password when I was trying to set up my new phone.  I couldn't remember what it was right now.  You notice I said "password" and "it."  That's because in my infinite wisdom, I made those applications the same password.  Just remember one for two accounts.  Well, that means you forget one for both accounts.   And THOSE I didn't write down any place.  Smart!

So guess what I have been doing for the past two hours.  Yep - I have been playing with that vault, trying to get all my passwords straightened out.  I think I got G's straight, but I know as well as I sit here, as soon as he tries to access one of his accounts that is password protected - it won't work.  There will be hell to pay tonight!

And I can't even blame chemo-brain anymore!

Peace

6 comments:

JuJu said...

surely you can come up with some kind of disease to fake for a couple hours? You know, just until he gets a new password?

Tell him you have forgottenpasswordanomia. Or something like that?

Marti said...

LOL at Ju-Ju's answer. Sounds good to me though.

I heard on the news tonight that there is a website to help with passwords - not that I can remember what it is now.

Grandma K said...

Marti - the one I was referred to is lastpass.com. I am still fighting with it some. But we'll see.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm such a dip...I changed my passwords a couple of weeks ago and then when I was baby sitting Olivia I couldn't log on to facebook or my yahoo mail cause I couldn't remember my new passwords..sigh*

Judy said...

I'm a risk taker--I use the same ones for everything! and i never change them.

Cheyenne said...

Just one of the reasons I write mine down in a little book and only I know where it is. But seriously, I don't have to hide it since I am the only one in this house besides my husband and he doesn't know how to use a computer, so I think I am safe.