Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Here I sit

I SHOULD be up and doing something. One would think there was nothing to do around this place, but that is so wrong. Name it and it needs doing. But I just feel attached to this computer. I don't want to get up at all. So I will bother you.

When I last spoke about our vacation - and I warned you that time provided blogging fodder for a long time - we had gotten to LA (and on time!!) where we boarded their metro train headed to Oxnard where we stayed for a night. We then headed to the depot to board the Coast Starlight route.

It runs from LA to Seattle. I knew it was a different. Not the outside of the train, not the steps and all the body of the train. It was when we got to the bedroom suite, there were two draw-string pouches that were filled with toiletries - like you find in hotels. Wow! Never had that before.

I knew I would not use them on the train. I have showered exactly twice on a train, and I won't do it again. I don't remember our trip to El Paso almost 20 years ago. I used the "public" rest room. I showered once in a bedroom suite. Never. Again! You are in a space that is probably 3x3. Even they suggest you sit on the toilet to shower. This is the only part of train travel I despise.

Our car steward had already gotten a lunch reservation. I was really glad because this is a big train - and only one dining car, which is standard. First class first!

This is one of the trains we have always wanted to take. It is the MOST scenic train I have been on so far. The train hugs the Pacific coast for a long time. That was so beautiful. When you look down on the beach there are people playing all along, and in most parts they are camped on the beach.

The second day aboard was the real surprise. There was a wine and cheese tasting. It was wines that were from whatever area we were in at the time. Never had that before!

While we were there, we went through such beautiful mountains. We were just climbing and climbing, Just beautiful.

Our final destination aboard that train was Portland. Or. The train went on to Dacoma and Seattle. That part we were going to be on a special train. It would be the great big steam engine that pulled the Freedom Train several years back.

Peace.

3 comments:

Marti said...

Oh, that really makes me want to go. I have been on the coast highway near SF and would love to see the whole thing by train. It's so hard to look around when you are driving.

JuJu said...

Even more proof that we are some kind of soul sisters...
I have been thinking about going to Portland for vacation next year, and then I read this!! Tell me all about it???

The showering sounds absolutely claustrophobic!

yellowdoggranny said...

I love Oxnard..not the city..just the name..want to make me laugh? say Oxnard.