Saturday, July 02, 2011

Home

Yes, we actually made it home on Thursday to get the rental car returned on the 1st. We did a fast 2300 miles from Portland, Oregon to Jersey Village, Texas. As you know there were distinct ups and downs. I wish it were a planned leisure trip. We missed some really great things to see along the way, but the planned 500 miles a day just didn't allow for it.

#################################################################

We could have returned by train. We could have taken the Starlight back down the Pacific Coast and met up with the Sunset Limited, or we could have taken the Empire Builder as far as it would go, transfer to some other - probably the one where the truck and passenger train hit - I can't remember that name - then on to the Texas Eagle almost home with a stop in East Texas where we would take a bus that is part of the railroad. Houston doesn't deserve a rail line for the Texas Eagle. It goes to San Antonio.

We love to vacation in the northern states and/or Canada. It get so blasted hot here we love to escape. Usually we leave when it is only mildly hot here - 90's with a few days in the 100's (not really). That makes our return even worse. We left with it fairly cool - went where is is cool - come back to the blast furnace, I don't know how much G paid the little college girl to keep things watered, but at least we didn't come home to plants that look like wilted, grilled spinach! My orange tree (Satsuma really) didn't look all that great, but I think it will be ok.

###################################################################

I went to the grocery store yesterday since we really didn't have much in the house. When I got home there was a little cotton tailed rabbit in the neighbor's yard. I think it may have been smelling the pool's water. That is a dangerous thing for little things. They reach over, fall in and drown. So I rummaged through the garage and found an old pet watering device. I put it out for whatever comes alone that needs a good gulp of water. There's none around here naturally unless they catch it from yard/flower bed watering.

When SIL gets back, I am going to have him set me up with a sprinkler system that is not a sprinkler system. It is all normal yard watering parts - except one sprinkler and the timer (!!). They have gone away for the 4th, and I am taking care of their old dog.

####################################################################
We picked up Simone yesterday morning. It was a day late, but we are such good customers ... I know they are full for this weekend, so I didn't want to put them out too much. She is so difficult to get "to the back" whether it is for a bath or boarding. When she comes back to the front, she runs at full speed. I felt so sorry for the little attendant that was trying to hold her. She was being pulled at full speed. Simone did not act like an old boxer! Except for the extreme cold - I think she could be a good sled dog!

Then I went to Son's house to get Shadow. He, of course, was in hiding. He finally recognized me. He began being so sweet. That lasted about an hour. Then came the first bite. He also slept with me. He was sweet and fairly loving until about 4 am. Then he got upset that I wanted the covers back, and he went into his panther mode. That is "kill Mom." He attacks and attacks until I throw him off the bed. So he is back to normal - well, with one exception. He has let me pick him up and hold and love him twice. Miracle. I will pay for that this evening - I am sure.

So here we are. I haven't even unpacked my big suitcase. I took everything that was necessary and put it into the smaller suitcase. The other is things that I could live without. As usual, I over packed again. I really tried to be frugal, and take only what I projected as needed. Well - there are things in that suitcase that never touched my body. I'll try again next year when we go to Iowa. And I won't make fun of my daughter (in my mind) when they arrive at the SSB for a weekend with their entourage of six suitcases for five people!

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

yeah..your home..I put out water for dexter and any animal that wanders thru, but it's so hot out that it practically boils the water and they can't drink it..
glad your back and hope it's cooler there than it is here..100..sigh*

Jeanette said...

Glad you made it home safe. Sounds like Simone missed you lots! Give Michigan a try next time you want to escape to cooler climates! You'd love it!

Susan Adcox said...

Canada was our favorite place to escape the heat back when the exchange rate was more favorable. This year we'll be going a bit closer--camping in Colorado. I can't wait to escape these 100+ and almost-100 degree days.