Monday, August 01, 2011

Weekend

Wow - a new form for Blogger.  I am so surprised I can hardly type, but then again that's really not new!  Can't type anyway!


My weekend was a killer, and most of it was my own choosing.  


When the subject if Vacation Bible School came up, my response was NO.  Been there, done that, used to have the t-shirt.  I was absolutely sure that was my answer.  I did VBS for years and years, and being the church organist full time it was, of course, determined that I would do the music program.  Does anyone realize how surly and non-participatory pre-teens are?  I absolutely hated trying to get those little monsters (and mine were in that group when the time came) to sing and learn the new songs for Sunday service.


Then I stepped out of the frying pan into the fire.  I was VBS director for two years.  Where was my mind?  I surely don't know.  At least I had a co-director.  But still, I must have been drugged to have said yes.


So all the times VBS was brought up in our little new church, I mentally said - nope.  Not me.  Until two weeks before the day.  I decided to go to one of the meetings.  I decided that they probably use another hand.  It was all on that Saturday, and it ran from 9-5.  We should have played that song by good ol' Dolly.  But I didn't know the ramifications of that.


I went to the next meeting.  That was easy.  They were after church.  I was already there. Daughter was signed up to work, and all three kidlets were going to be in classes there.  Sure, I'll do it.  I will just help out.  Music, er no, I don't do no music!


Saturday rolls around.  I get up at 6:30.  I have only done that a handful of times since my retirement.  But, this was for church and the children after all.  Up and at 'em for the 8 o'clock meeting to iron out cliches.  And for me iron on the patch.  


Things were looking good.  Everything was set.  I was doing registration with another grandmother.  Good, someone read my mind.  That's what I wanted to do.  AND as a result, I got to know Sharon who I had some work time the previous Saturday at one of our church's volunteer places.  Neat O!  Then we would go to the Children's Annex which was four or five storefronts down. (We are in a shopping center and the place next to us isn't available - so we took what was there)


About 2 o'clock the kids were out of it.  They were bored and tired.  The staff and student helpers had reached their limit - and we had three hours to go.  OMG.  The director had a melt down.  It was a disaster.  But Daughter found crayons, markers, and coloring sheets.  We had happy campers for about two hours.


At the end, I was afraid our little Pastor was going to have a fit.  Ours is a multi-use space. Church, but can be just open.  One of the young helpers got the boys to run around to expend energy.  Pastor C HATES running in the church, but I guess this really wasn't church. It was a wide open space.  He said nothing though.


Five came, the kids left, and we broke our the wine and cheese we (SIL and I although G had to be involved) thought it would be a nice ending to a long day.  And you know what? Almost everyone stayed and we had grand fellowship for a couple of hours.  It was wonderful.


Peace be with you.



5 comments:

JuJu said...

Was it just one day, or are you having to do the whole week?
I've done the VBS Jail myself, including music and director. I tell you, we are from the same cloth!

Thank goodness for the wine and cheese!

Jeanette said...

So you were hesitant but looks like it turned out to be a good thing in the end! Have a great week!!

Judy said...

VBS--our always lasted all week with a program in the evening of the last day. I was exhausted--couldn't do it now if I had to!!

Marti said...

I've never heard of an all-day VBS before, but it sounds a lot like a camp-in and with so many working parents now, probably a good idea.

Every Sunday when they ask for volunteers for VBS, I study my fingernails or the bulletin. We're just visiting and I really feel no desire or obligation. Like you, I've done my time. Here, VBS is in the evening for a week and I'm just too tired by 6pm to deal with a bunch of hyperactive kids.

But I'm glad you had a good one and enjoyed the fellowship afterward. It is exhausting.

yellowdoggranny said...

I like being a pagan, there are no meetings