Friday, July 22, 2011

A few answers

First, good morning! For once I haven't waiter until late afternoon or evening!! Of course I have 6 minutes before AMC!! Now for the answers (and I will probably be back late afternoon or early evening with my pearls for today).

Yes you can go coast to coast by rail. Before Katrina, it was easy. You took the Sunset Limited from LA to some point to Florida. Now you would have to go to New Orleans (too bad must see Bourbon Street and enjoy its ambiance). Then you would take the train to Chicago. From that train, there are several that would go on the the East Coast.

What are the "facilities" for coach. Not too bad - I guess. There is a women's and a men's bathroom. There are several stalls, and there are several showers - we think. This is all downstairs. Most of the seats are upstairs, and when you walk around the cars, you do it on the upper level. Best scenery in the upper level coach, but we found there is a downstairs seating level. We were going to use that when we had one of the coach seat reservation. Not as good scenery, but you also don't have to walk down the small nearly circular stairwell. I'm not into stairs!

So, I hope that answered questions. Seriously, go to the Amtrak website. They have diagrams of the cars (I think they are still there), and I think they will send you information. I would say to book early especially if you want those accommodations that are scarce.

AMC came on three minutes ago - peace and all that - check you later!

1 comment:

Susan Adcox said...

It's been interesting learning about train travel from you, Karen. I never thought I would like it, but you make it sound fascinating!