Friday, March 30, 2012

What a (wonderful) change from last year.

It's amazing what a year can do in Texas!  Last year, the land was so parched.  Our usual flamboyance of wild flowers was non-existent.  The season was really mean.  The heat was on, and the rain was off.


This year, while the temperatures have  been warmer than usual, we have been getting rain.  Often, quite a lot of rain.  It's rather strange because I don't hear anyone complaining.  Even around the SSB, no one is saying the roads are so muddy that they are difficult to maneuver, or that the fields are too wet to plant.  None of that this year.


On our trip last week, the wild flowers were magnificent.  In many places, the bluebonnets formed a rolling blanket covering the hill sides.  I was thinking they had reached their peak.  But that certainly wasn't the truth. 


When we went into Fredericksburg for groceries, there were even more flowers poking up.  When, at the end of the week's time, we headed back home, there were even more flowers than the week before.  It was really breathtaking.


I was more than amazed when I got out of the truck when we arrived at the SSB.  We actually have bluebonnets close to the house.  I really thought we would never get them.  We had several, and like the rest of the country-side, we had more when we left.  I was absolutely thrilled.


Now, there was a downside - especially for G.  Our place was so overgrown with weeds that the road virtually disappeared.  So that meant he had to get out the good old 22 inch lawn mower. If it's spring, it is snake season, and they are very hungry - and have powerful venom.  Walking the dog in that overgrowth is a scary proposition.  So he spent the first three and a half days trying to get rid of some of the vegetation.


I have pictures - in the camera.  And my time is running out for computer stuff today.  I will get them downloaded, and get them posted for tomorrow.


 But it is really amazing what a difference a little rain makes to our land around here. Last year, very few flowers - this year a bumper crop!


Peace.

1 comment:

JuJu said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen a blue bonnet, so I'm looking forward to the pictures!

I think you guys need a lawn boy!