Thursday, March 29, 2012

Undecided

I really don't know how I feel about my visit to Dr Death today (the oncologist).

No, nothing bad - no recurrence or anything like that - in fact just the opposite.  My lab results were stellar.  My marker number was great.  All the other results were normal.

So what's the problem.  Simple - I have been put on a year's recall.  Now that is really great news, but I have really liked to have these six month checks to check on that little marker number.  It tells me that the breast cancer hasn't appeared elsewhere in my body wrecking havoc.  With each appointment with Dr D, I remember what a dear friend (and relative) told me about her colon cancer.  When she was moved to yearly checks, that was a long year, and so it shall be with me.

Along with the five year clean thingy, it is also the end of five years of Femara (the anti-cancer drug).  I looked at him very skeptically, and he said that the research shows no reason to continue taking the drug past five years.  Well, can't I keep coming back every six months and taking the drug??  It is working for me!

I know this is the milestone I have really been waiting for.   I have been looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.  Son's friend's mother died from her breast cancer after she stopped the other drug for the five years.  But that was she, all cases are different.

So it has been a day of good news and rather scary news.  I'm just glad I continue to be in remission!

Peace.

3 comments:

JuJu said...

Oh let's focus on the good for today. Yay! You continue to be in remission. I celebrate you.

The rest of it? We'll just take it one day at a time. Together.

yellowdoggranny said...

Goddess bless you and keep you safe..

Lap Dog Knits said...

It's a good day...wishing you a wonderful fun weekend...one to always remember