Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Highs and lows

That's the way our small groups at church are to be started.  Each meeting, everyone gives his high(s) and low(s) for the week - remember, we meet every week in these official small groups.


When I heard that with the first round, I said I thought it was stupid.  Conversation among people begins - there doesn't need to be a prompt.  This is when Daughter and SIL had to do one.  I was so against these groups.  Too frequent, too stilted, etc.


This go-round, there was a small group that was supposed to meet at local restaurants, and was for fellowship - at least that's what I thought.  We missed the first two meetings because we were either already at the SSB or coming home.  I don't want to go to a group after a 5 1/2 hour drive home!


We went to the meeting last week, and to my surprise, G wanted to go back.  There were great people there.  I knew there would be, so I wasn't too concerned about the group - since it was supposed to be a fellowship/dinner group.  


We DID have the highs and lows, but it wasn't too bad. Then the rest of the night we talked and ate.  We were meeting at the church, but I know that was because we could arrange the tables in a manner conducive to talking.


This week it changed.  This week was still at church, still with the highs and lows, but we had an agenda.  It was to discuss the sermon from Sunday.  I. AM. TURNED. OFF. FROM. THIS. GROUP. NOW.


It was even mentioned - well  the last three meetings have been fellowship, but we are going to discuss the sermon.  I do not understand WHY the leadership cannot get it into their heads that the church wants more fellowship time.


That leads me to what kept me awake last night.  Our (my) women's group on Saturday.  I do not plan to run that group like this model.  People usually volunteer good and bad things in their lives.  We meet once a month.  That little dedicated time for this has no place.  Plus - these women want fellowship.  That's something we haven't been able to do much of in the last two meetings.  We were still floundering looking for direction.


We have direction now.  We are going to be making tied fleece baby blankets for a group that supports young women under 24 who have experienced an unexpected pregnancy.  That translates into mostly teens.  They need all the help they can get.  So we are going to learn to make these blankets.  Then we can learn to knit and crochet to make little caps for those babies or premies at local hospitals.  I am going to suggest dresses for little girls in Africa or Appalachia, or pillowcases for the children at  M.D. Anderson Cancer Hospital.


We are going to visit, craft or learn to craft, and make things for someone who needs it.  We are not doing highs and lows, nor or we going to have a set discussion topic.  


In his latest blog post, Pastor went against himself several times in what he sees for the church.  I know he will come to me with what formula he sees.  He even said he doesn't think
"quilting bees, VBS, ... are doing what we need to do.  He even hit small groups as not meeting what we should do - but he is pushing them down our throats, and is happy that so many of us have fallen in from the pressure.  



He wants us to come to church on Sunday, be inspired to go out and minister to the world, and come back the next Sunday to begin the cycle over.  What is wrong with us ministering to each other - with a little fellowship?


I know I am beating this subject to death.  It just lives in me.  I guess it does because I am loving this women's group.  It is going where I wanted it to go.  I am the "leader" only because someone needs to organize it as far as making sure the dates are published, securing the place.  I don't really want this group to have a leader per se.  We don't need it.  I will try to put this particular soap box away.  It isn't easy because I am constantly thinking about this and girding my loins to be strong when I have to stand up to Pastor.


Now to what got me thinking about this.  Our real low for this week is that our ex-Pastor/good personal friend (battling pancreatic cancer) is back in ICU.  Two weeks ago, he had a cyst of some kind removed from his spinal area.  It was a long, arduous surgery.  He is still on a vent, and being slowly weaned off.  But now a scan has found a spot on his liver.  It has been biopsied.  We will know in a couple of days.


I am asking for prayers for him.  Please.  He needs them badly. Thank you in advance.


Peace.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I am so sorry, and of course I'll be praying for your ex-pastor.

JuJu said...

I was very very involved at my church for over ten years (not anymore, long long story) but the fellowship meant as much to me as the services. Often times, I found God working through and in these times. I hope the pastor will recognize that and butt out!

And, sending up love and prayers for your friend, hoping he gets good results from the tests.