Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mute issue

 It seems as though my worries were for naught.  I don't know, but I believe the doctors talked to Larry's family last night.  I believe they told them that he was never going to really be weaned from the vent because they took him off last night.  He was monitored with just a mask.


I am taking the knowledge G presented and adding all this up, and I really believe in my heart that there were advanced directives in place, and the family honored them.  


Larry passed peacefully this morning.


I am thankful for that.  I know he must have been suffering although being sedated.  My heart goes out to the family.  The decision I believe they made was one of the hardest ones there is for a family.  I am just glad he was able to go peacefully.


If I were faced with the situation I had with my dad, I still would have made the same one - even knowing how long he lingered.  My alternative there would have been to have a feeding tube inserted.  All that would have done was to keep the shell alive - the brain was so far gone  that he couldn't remember how to swallow.


At the very least - decisions like this are terrible.  They are filled with doubt and angst.  I  now pray for his family, and the legions of us left who loved Larry.


Peace.

4 comments:

JuJu said...

I am so sorry to hear of Larry's passing. But, I am so grateful for him and for all who loved him, that his passing was peaceful.

JuJu said...

I am so sorry to hear of Larry's passing. But, I am so grateful for him and for all who loved him, that his passing was peaceful.

Judy said...

Such hard decisions--I am so thankful I have not had to make any of them. My kids will have to--that is why I have "directives". We all want to die peacefully, in our sleep. Unfortunately, that happens very rarely. Birth and death--both painful and messy!

yellowdoggranny said...

candles lit..prayers sent.