Thursday, September 16, 2010

My stupidity!

I should have known better. I've been stung before. But I did it anyway. I was stupid enough to buy another Dell. I deserve all the hell I get, and it is happening already.

When the Gateway crashed, I lost a program that is so essential to me - my happiness at least. It is a little program that turns the program name of an embroidery program into an icon. Now to the average person, they would probably say "big deal - so what's the problem?" Well when you have several thousands of deigns, it really is a big deal.

If I want to know what a specific design looks like right now, I have to open a program that is meant to change the extension on that file that makes it work on my particular machine. Now why the different machines have to use different files, I don't know. I think it would be wonderful to just get a program and slap it into the sewing machine and go! But it is not to be.

And it appears me seeing the pictures of what that little file looks like when it is stitched out is not to be too. As soon as I start to download the file I get an error message, that on the information page of sites says, it is a problem with the wonderful, highly touted, lousy Windows 7.

So I wrote to the manufacturer of the program. He apparently believes that I can even get into the program, so to be sure, I erased the program and downloaded it again. Same problem, and I emailed him again.

Then I got the brilliant idea to email Dell. What. A. Joke. I got to the guts of the 5 page process, and got the message that process was down. Well, of course. So I guess I will have to call for help (India I'm sure). At least with the lap top they cannot put me down on the floor, dismantling the computer this time.

I guess there is a silver lining!

Peace

3 comments:

Judy said...

Can't you reinstall XP and be done with all this mess. I did and after I saw it worked well, deleted Windows 7--outta here and off my new computer.

Marti said...

Oh no! That little icon is priceless, I feel your pain. I have saved the icon as a jpeg so I could print them out and keep them in my software case, but I can't remember how I did it now.

Are these patterns you have downloaded from the net, or bought on a CD? It was the downloaded ones where I saved the icon as a jpeg.

I'd second the vote for XP, but I have no idea how you would go about doing that.

BTW, thanks for the tip about Hobby Lobby. I had looked on their website for a lobster clasp and they only showed silver and bright brass, but I stopped by there yesterday and they had some other odd colors and I bought one that might work.

Susan Adcox said...

Dell stopped outsourcing its customer support years ago. I've had two Dell computers and have had no issues. I suspect that it is the Windows program that is giving you difficulty and not the computer itself. But whatever the cause of the problem is, I feel your pain!