Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Where is it?

It’s a little strange the way a week of discomfort (and downright pain), interrupted sleep, and a fever can send the bravado that I roared into this breast cancer thing to a mewling mass huddled in the corner looking for a way to escape.

I have two drainage tubes in the incision. They are stitched to my skin. When they get pulled they hurt - a lot. That has happened a lot. The first time was upon arriving home when I removed the bra. The bulbs attached to the tubes fell. I hurt.

I am a side sleeper. I can sleep on the left side, but I prefer the right. The stitches, tubes and all are on the right. I cannot turn to the right - at all. It’s especially fun when the left hip hurts.

Yesterday the trump suit was played. I awoke with a screaming headache and a low grade fever. That just about did me in. I was instructed to go to the surgeon’s office. He pronounced that I was coming down with "something." I was instructed to take his magic formula of tylenol.

So today I am picking up the pieces of whatever resolve I can find so that I can super glue them back together. I am definitely going to need them Friday when I go back to the surgeon to have every other staple removed. Ugh.

8 comments:

Busy Mom said...

You can do it, you're doing it right now. Keep it up! Every day is one day closer to defeating this thing.

Pendullum said...

Take you time...
Lots of rest...
And let people cater to you...

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness... I am so sorry that you are in so much pain and are uncomfortable. As I was reading your blog I could feel the pulling on the sides of my breast as if the stitches and tubes were on me.

I hope you get well soon but most of all,hopefully you can get one solid nights sleep.

Anonymous said...

I'll send you some of my excess resolve to get you through.
My mom is a survivor.

Anonymous said...

I also have breast cancer. My tumor was very small, had the sugery and I just finished my radiation treatment. I did keep my breast but now it looks like a stop light....I'm quite red but it doesn't hurt, except to look at it! You are doing wonderful and the pain is to be expected but each day is one day closer to no pain and full recovery. I wish you well.

Jessica said...

Sending you prayers and positive thoughts.

flying eagle woman said...

i'm singing for you right now...i know you can't hear me but your spirit can and this song brings you strength...i am praying for you daily and giving you long healing hugs...you're doing so good, just keeping honest is making you stronger...

Anonymous said...

Coming to you via BusyMom, and wishing you all the best, Grandma K. Hope you are feeling better soon! Fight the good fight!