Monday, February 26, 2007

Drugs and reality

Hmmm. I am not sure how powerful pain killers and blogging mix, but they have been for a few days. I am writing directly here in blogger instead of using Word to try to make sure all mistakes are caught before the "publish" button. When I am sober again I guess I'll review these posts to see just how much I have embarrassed myself!

More seriously, I got a look at myself in the mirror the other night when I showered. The view from above is nothing compared to the full frontal look from the mirror. I couldn't believe the horrible visage there in that mirror. The scar is terrifying and nauseating. I knew it wouldn't be pretty, but I was not prepared for how bad it is.

Once again, my strength is shaken. I want to retreat to a corner, ball up and cry. There is not the strong visage I have tried to keep. I don't see how any reconstruction could ever fix what I have in place of a right breast.

Right now I am tired and scared. I cannot get a good night's sleep because there is no way I can roll to my right side. The drains are in the exact place where I would lay. They are so sore because even though I try to be very careful, there is a tug at them almost hourly. The little stitch that holds them in place hurts so much. I cannot find a way to make sure there is never any tension on them.

I am scared because I have no idea of how many little tumors have escaped and cruising around my body. I won't see the oncologist for a week. I do not know where my future is headed on that front.

All I know is that my body has been mutilated. My left chest is a mass of scars and bumps. I never thought this would be the concern that it is for me. I never thought I identified with my body like this. I thought I was above that kind of thought. I thought I believed that the body is just an imperfect vessel. I guess I just didn't want it to be this imperfect.

2 comments:

flying eagle woman said...

oh sweetie, if i could i would hug you close and say these things in person...it's okay to be afraid, use that fear to build from...it's okay to have shaken strenth...strength that's been shaken is all the more resolute upon its return...you know what i mean? mutilation of one's body IS a traumatic event...however as long as your heart is beating, and it's something you can probably even SEE at this juncture, you will KNOW there is living to be done...just that you are saying the things you say will help you heal faster...

flying eagle woman said...

one more thing...in my world our prayers are these beautiful "longhouse" songs...i will sing one for you today...and whenever i think of you which will be as often as Creator brings you to mind...okay?