Friday, February 02, 2007

The big day

The big day is almost here. I am scheduled for the lumpectomy on Thursday the 8th.

I had my follow up appointment with the surgeon. Apparently the PET scan was good. He never brought it up, so I guess it was clear. Then we went about scheduling the surgery.

I am going to a brand new hospital, but it is not on my providers list, so I don’t know what this is going to cost me. Since the doctor hates the hospital that we all used to go to, I would rather go to this new one. He and several other docs that started the other hospital are pulling out of that one since it is now owned by a corporation and they built this new one.

I was in his office for more than an hour yesterday while they were making the arrangements with the hospital for the surgery. Then they told me to go for the pre-op at the hospital.

While I was at the registration desk, the PET scan tech came down to explain how I will have the lymph nodes checked. I will cover the entire hospital that day. I begin with the mammography lab where I think they will put some type of device into the tumor. Then I go see her in another place where she will inject a radioactive substance into the tumor and take pictures.

Then I will get to finally have the lumpectomy. That is scheduled for noon. All the while, I will not have had anything since midnight!

The rest of the pre-op included an EKG, which they did twice since the first one said I had ventricular fibulation! Then the wonderful stick for the blood work. Then it was off to x-ray for a chest x-ray.

I tell you what - by the time I have the surgery, I will glow in the dark!

1 comment:

said...

I left a comment earlier today but I am not sure that I pushed the correct button to send my comment through - if you have laready received it - then just cancel this one - If you havent it read:
My best friend had cancer a few years ago and she always said
Cancer is the LITTLE "C" in my life
Christ is the BIG "C" in my life.
Remember that nothing happens to us without Christ knowing beforehand that it will happen....knowing that means that he is not surprised by any of this and knows and holds our future in his hand... I find that comforting - Please fell free to visit me on my blog
http://cathy-musings.blogspot.com
I see you are from Texas - our best friend is also from Texas and we will be visiting San Antnio in a few months - we are certainly looking forward to our trip