Monday, May 01, 2006

The $200 brownie

As I sit here bleary eyed, I remember that just a scant 12 hours ago I was on my way to the Emergency Vet Clinic. Simone was ill last night. She had never acted like that before. She was in distress.

Why, you ask. Probably because of the brownie bits that became the world’s most expensive chocolate brownie in the world. Sunday nights are family dinner nights. All available come to our house for dinner. B and C couldn’t come because he is working 9-6:30 am right now - that’s another story. I made chicken/mushroom lasagna. I decided that brownies would make a good dessert. Everyone, including G, likes brownies.

Lady Bug brought hers into the den to eat. When she got up from the chair, Simone immediately began eating something from the floor under that chair. LB told me she dropped a couple of pieces of her brownie. I wasn’t all that concerned at first because her brownie wasn’t all that large. Simone couldn’t have gotten that much.

After they left, Simone went out (after needing to go when no one noticed - that spells accident in the living room). She apparently threw up then. G didn’t notice anything. She came back in and went to sleep. A deep sleep. When she got up she started licking her lips and salivating. I took her out, and she began grazing like a cow. I thought she would then get rid of anything that was left to upset her stomach.

We came back in, and I sat up to watch her. She threw up again in the house about an hour and a half later. I called the Emergency Clinic , explained all of what happened, and the vet said boxers can be very sensitive to chocolate. It was off to the clinic at 1 a.m.

Now I thought I would be the only person in the clinic at 1 a.m on Monday morning. NOPE! We waited until 2:30 to be seen. I got the other vet on duty, and he didn’t seem to be as alarmed. They gave her a bolus of fluids and two shots.
To take off on a tv commercial, but with a definite twist. An evening with the family - priceless; good food - priceless; dropped bits of brownie - $203! Bed time for Grandma - 3:30 a.m.

1 comment:

Erin-erin-bo-berin said...

Oh no! I grew up with a boxer as a pet (we named him 'Tyson'), who routinely got into chocolate we didn't even know was in the house!
If that ever happens again that you know of, you can give her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide that will make her throw it up. It's save you the $200 next time.

Glad Simone's okay. You could use a nap!