Friday, May 05, 2006

Grandma K's big adventures

We are nearing V day. (Vacation you know.) We will be taking off for California on Sunday. I’m still not sure how I really feel about it. I really believe I would rather not go, but that’s not an option. I know I will be better once we are landing in LA. I hope.
Thy flight may be interesting. K took Monkey Boy to the doctor yesterday. He has bilateral ear infections. Nasty ones. He should be great on the plane. I hope the shot he got yesterday moves the healing along.
I always have interesting dental visits, but yesterday takes the prize. When I went into the office, the skies were threatening. When I got in the chair, it started raining, and the wind was blowing. About the time my temporary crowns were removed, the weather radar showed the storms were moving away from us, and there was no problem. Oh, my dentist provides TVs with satellite for
his patients. As the assistant was working on the permanent crowns, the skies began to darken again. Then I was no longer able to see the TV or the window, but I could hear the thunder.
I asked if they often lost their lights. She said no, but when we had the rolling blackouts a few weeks ago, they were affected.
By now I have 6 people in the room. I have three pairs of hands around my mouth. They are mixing the cement for the 4 porcelain crowns. The thunder is getting louder. One of the assistants says "Hold on, hold on!" I am wondering why. Then the lights go out. The only light is from the windows. Dr Good Smile assures me we can finish. Out come flashlights. All crowns are in place.
Then we have the problem of making the bite right. That involves the drill. I really thought I would be going back today. Dr GS tested the drill. There was enough air in the line remaining to run the drill! So we spent the last half hour in the semi-darkness with me tap, tap, tapping on colored papers to get the bite right. And it worked! I am the owner of six beautiful crowns. And the best news is that the bite is right.
Dr GS called last night to see how I was doing. It was about 8:15, and he said their lights had just come back on. Wow. We never even knew the storm was coming our way either.

No comments: