Thursday, July 12, 2012

Still Thankful

Last year, we in Texas were moaning and groaning because it seemed it would never rain again.  For a while, we really thought that was going to be the case.

What a difference a year makes.  Since Saturday, here at my house we have had at least a half of an inch a day.  This is bringing a lot of mosquitoes too.  That part I am not thankful for.  God must have a strange sense of humor to have created those little buggers - perhaps He didn't - perhaps the Lucifer caused them to mutate from something else.  But I digress.

Since last night to the present time (because it is still raining) my gauge registers 2 inches since 10 pm last night.  The news said our area has gotten 11 inches.  After last year, I will not lament this.  My friend probably is/will.  Her house just flooded again.  I am so sorry to hear that.  It isn't surprising.  Our ground is saturated, and this heavy rain will lead to that.  She lives in an area that is still prone to flooding.

My area was in a flood area.  Subsidence and building upstream from us caused our area to be prone to flooding.  We were close - the houses behind us (including the rental we bought) flooded.  We had water over our curb into the front yard.  My neighbor had her car out in the street and it flooded out.  We were lucky with that one - at least my house and my close neighbors. 

The county has done a lot of work.  G called me after he got to the park-n-ride. He said the bayou that causes our flooding was at the bridge.  Usually this would mean that we are in big trouble.  It seems to be running off well.  We really don't even have water in the street. 

Will I complain.  Absolutely not.  It is so nice to have the rain (sorry Kathy - I know you could use about 5 inches less today), but in addition to giving plants water, it has the temps lower.  The farmers are probably not happy especially if they need to be in the fields to harvest or plant. 

Hopefully the weather is moderating wherever you are.

Peace.

6 comments:

JuJu said...

It seems like one of those, "be careful what you wish for" things.

I loathe a mosquito.

Judy said...

Been there, done that (re the fights) it was ALWAYS my fault!!! Everything was my fault!!! Got out--am now happy. Glad for the rain--every time I see it on the weather channel that Texas got rain, I smile. Maybe you could take a trip to the SSB, by yourself--for a week? Nice and quiet and give your nerves a break?

Anonymous said...

replacement car key

Rainy and sunny weather has its advantages and disadvantages. Argh! Why can't we have the so-so weather? Right?

Cheyenne said...

We get occasional teaser showers over night but not enough to even make a dent in needed moisture. The meteorologist tonight said a fourth heat wave is coming. I don't know when they end or start, it seems like one long hot summer. Much as I love this time of the year, I will put up with this heat since I do not look forward to winter and that yucky stuff we get bombarded with.

Marti said...

We've had an inch or less per week for the last two weeks and I'm grateful for that. Wish I had a garden in after all, but who knew? They were predicting another year of drought. Glad you didn't get flooded.

yellowdoggranny said...

only problem with Texas (although it hasn't been that way this year)..is that it will go 5 months with no rain and then get 5 months of rain in 2 hours...