Saturday, July 07, 2012

The bad and the good

Yesterday, I was enjoying myself sewing little purses and coin purses "in the hoop" on the embroidery machine when the phone rang.  I knew Doodle was at the ortho's office to determine hair line fracture or not.  I thought, as it was true that is was, Daughter.

Yes they were there, and it was a madhouse.  So she called upstairs to where one ortho guy and mine officed.  They said they were sure the one where she was would be a madhouse because theirs was too.  Dr F (my knee surgeon) had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago and died.

This news still brings the tears to my eyes, and yesterday it brought loud sobs while I was talking to Daughter.  Dr F was one of the best people, let alone doctors I have ever met.  My first visit to him was wracked with so much fear.  I had heard such horror stories about the pain of joint replacement.

After looking at my knees, he said we had to do the left one ASAP because it was so unstable\\.  He was afraid it would crumble and break at any time, and then I would have a real problem.  I remember how reassuring he was.  I clearly remember the words "we can't control the pain you are in now - we CAN control the pain post surgery."  And he did.

He always took time to fully explain what was going on, what was going to happen, why and/or any other question we might have.  We also talked about his hawks that he looked after in the area of the hospital.

After reading the tributes to him at the funeral web site, this is how he was with his patients.  He CARED.  He spent time.  Explaining.  Teaching.  Curing.  Talking.  With one, they talked about music.  

He also helped people who didn't have cures from other doctors.  On that first visit, we talked with a man who fell into a pond on his farm in another state.  He contracted MRSA - that skin eating bacteria.   He was about to lose his leg and his life.  He returned to Texas and Dr F.  His leg was saved.

In reading those tributes, I discovered Dt F didn't only do knees and hips.  He did shoulders.  Oh, how I wish I had known this.  I wouldn't be suffering as I am.

I think of my future.  I will not see him for my yearly follow up.  Something that I, like his other patients, looked forward to.  We enjoyed going to see him.  That isn't something most people feel about their doctors.

I am so very, very sad at his passing.  The tears still want to flow.  I know he was "only" my surgeon, but I know he looked on us as more than "only" his patients.
 _____________________________________________________________________________

The good is that birthday boy has had a good day with us.  He needed this time today - with us - alone.  Usually the girls push him our of the way and take over.  It must be hell to be the middle between two sisters - especially like his outgoing sisters.  The eldest usually brags that she is my favorite, and I love her more.  I have spend a lot more time with her - she is older, is able to do my hobbies, and has always been easier.  But today is Monkey Boy's day!  Tomorrow I will post a picture or two!

Peace

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your good friend...

JuJu said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are a kind woman to feel so deeply.

Happy Birthday to Monkey Boy!

Marti said...

I'm sorry that you and your community lost such a good man. Ones like you describe are few and far between.