Saturday, July 28, 2012

It was Christmas in July for 12 pregnant girls!

Part if the tables set yo and diaper cakes in front of out Prayer Table

Some of the 15 diaper cakes (130 diapers!)

The set up with Santa and MORE diaper cakes.  

The "Mommy Bags" that are JUST for the mommy - not baby!!

Welcome table

Little corsages from baby washcloths.  Didn't turn out like I planned - the blasted florist tape didn't hold - and my hands couldn't tie 12 ribbons

Another area church provided crib bedding sets

Special baby shower punch.  And it was GOOD!
The group who works with these girls remarked that this was the best shower they ever had since they began in 2008.  We gave them something way above and beyond their wildest hopes.  We all felt great.  There were 12 of our women working today.

In total, there were 39 people in attendance, 12 were the girls.  They ranged from 14 to 19.  It is sad, but at least they are getting help from this organization.  I still lament babies having babies.  One girl will be starting high school this year, and someone remarked how immature she is.  She had her mother sign her in, take care of her trash, etc.  I don't know how she is going to take care of a baby.  Grandmother is young too - she is 35.   

I guess I think age brings better knowledge and ability, but I know that's not always true.  I "rushed to judgement" in several cases.  One girl brought the dad, her mom, and little sister.  It really made me worry because I thought we were told it was only the girls, but this group was really something.  I got to know them best.  Daddy is 18, the mom 15.  Both are really mature all things considered.  He was very protective.  Future grandma is a great lady.  She did lament that SHE was s single mom - lost her job in May, but with the baby coming she didn't know if she could return to work.  Her younger child is 9 and quite a character.  I wish this family all the best in the world.

It was quite an afternoon!!

2 comments:

JuJu said...

Oh, I'm so glad it all turned out okay and that you had plenty of goodies for all the moms. Well done!

Marti said...

I'm so glad it went over so well. Those girls will remember that day for a long time. Kudos to your women's group for providing this ministry.