Thursday, March 12, 2009

What fun!

With great trepidation, I visited the vampires again today. In other words, I went for my blood drawing before I see the oncologist next week.

This blood drawing has not always been pleasant. Once at this lab, I left with my arm bleeding. That was interesting. Not too long ago at the other lab for the cardio doc, the tech couldn't find the vein. When only one arm can be used for said sticking, I was a little distraught - to say the least.

Today was easy and almost pleasant. She was really good.

I was talking to my aunt in law this past weekend. She had ovarian cancer, and not too long ago had a scare about possible breast cancer. Thankfully, there was no breast cancer.

We were talking about how we wait for the results of the cancer factors that are measured. A spike could mean the cancer is back. We both said that interval between tests seems to go on forever. Those little numbers, and hopefully they stay little, mean we are probably cancer free.

I have remarked before that six months seems like an eternity. When I was undergoing chemo, my blood was tested just before chemo so determine whether or not I was able to withstand being poisoned yet again If the RBC's were too low, I wouldn't get chemo.

I never had that problem. Things got a little low at times, but I never had to miss an appointment. In fact, I never really had a problem with the chemo.

Krissi and I went to eat a Chinese lunch after my first treatment, and I will admit that Chinese still isn't my favorite food. I seldom have a desire for it, but I was not sick on it. I really never got nauseated at all. When we would grill outside (which is a year around thing here), the smell from the grill which is just outside the door was disagreeable, but never nauseating.

Aunt Flo and I both said we really remember very little about chemo. I guess it's something like childbirth in that aspect. George wants me to be available to a lady he works with who is having a double mastectomy this week. I understand she is really worried about the chemo, and he thinks she will be going to the group practice I go to. She will just go to another of their facilities.

I will be more than willing, but once she starts, she will find the other patients undergoing chemo will be quite a support system in themselves. Aunt Flo said she really regretted that she had her chemo alone in a private room. I told her at first that was what I wanted, but soon discovered that the company was great. She only had her last treatment with others around, and it was so much better.

In a few more days I'll get the results of the blood factors. With any luck, I'll be good to go for another six months. I wonder how I will be able to handle a year!

Peace.

No comments: