Friday, March 06, 2009

A mild rant

I find it so amusing when people complain about not having enough money that they are cutting on various essentials, but splurge on non-sensical things. I am going to be a little vague because this might get to the ones about whom I am speaking, and I don't want to face their ire.

I am not by any means wealthy. Folks, I am a retired Texas teacher. Our salary schedule is public record, and we are by no means near the top of the salary scales. In fact, look closer to the bottom and you will find us. Since I retired at 29 years rather than 30, I get less in my retirement, pay more for health insurance, and generally get scre*ed with the amount of money I get. But I have enough money to be comfortable, and can afford my little splurges occasionally

With that said, I will continue. When I bought this notebook computer, I felt I had really splurged, but I had a reason for it. I do use it daily. When I bought my sewing machine, I did splurge, but I had just gotten my diagnosis. I was going to do something for myself. But I did not have to take something away from my partner to cover the expense.

There are people out there who spend wads of money on things that are not essentials - and a lot of them. I do not have a Iphone, Ipod or any of those things. I have a basic cell phone on the lowest plan and listen to the radio if I want music. If I want something else, I use the web site of that station and stream music.

These people who complain about finances have the latest phone, spend their time sending text messages, have Ipods, Kindles, and the like. Texting costs money. Why not call the person??? I just heard one person sent 800 texts in a billing period. Mercyful heavens. If you are using your **** phone anyway, use the calling option. If you want to read a book, go to the used book store and buy one at a reduced price and hold the **** thing. Books on Kindle run $30 a pop. I can buy a used paperback for a couple of bucks.

I am thinking of asking for an Ipod and a digital turntable for my birthday. The kids and husband are always asking what I want. If they divide that by 5, it's not that much money. They would probably spend that much buying something I have no use for. I want to put our vinyl records on the Ipod. Our new tv has a place for the Ipod, and our old stereo system is obsolute. It will not connect to this new system. We have hundreds of records that we cannot listen to.

Some of these people have to have the newest and fanciest electronic stuff out - be it phones, cameras, or whatever. I just don't get it. If you have to keep the temperature in your house at a very uncomfortable level, watch your grocery bill, or deny the folks you are living with, then the problem is YOURS. Stop making others pay for your indulgences.

Enough said - probably too much. Rant over.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and---parents that don't want to deny their children the latest electonic thingie get me to rant. Talk to the kids...tell them times are tough right now..they don't need to be texting people who are sitting a few feet from them--it is impolite to text while sitting with a group of people anyway!!! Lift up your head and converse with people--what a concept.

I don't even own a cell phone--have never seen why I needed one. If you call and I am not here, leave a message on my answering machine. I don't want you calling me while I am driving, shopping, trying to find something in Wal-Mart, or sitting outside in the sun.

I'll get back to ya--okay?