Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tidbits

We will leave, as planned, tomorrow morning for the SSB. It is our usual trip and Comminuty Club meeting. I wanted to take the small sewing machine, but that was vetoed at the very beginning. I was reminded that this trip is "spring cleaning."

As it turns out, we will be going to the Alamo City on Saturday for the uncle's funeral. When I read his obit today, I was amazed at the things I learned. He has a daughter who didn't do a flip for him. She apparently has always been a weird duck. He also has an older step daughter who has stepped up to the plate for him. He had a step son also. Never knew that. He has five grandchildren and a mess of great grandchildren. I bring that up because the sisters (the remaining two aunts) talked about how he said he was so lonely. That shouldn't have happened.

I KNOW how hard it is to visit the elderly in some sort of home. My dad was there. I probably didn't go as often as I should. With his dementia, it was just too much. There was never anything to talk about, and he would sometimes become inappropriate in what he said. I did slip into avoidance. But I was there at least once a week.

Did he realize how infrequently I came? I really don't know. He did associate with a lot of the women there. Always the lady's man. I think he was kept busy. He also slept a lot. That had been true even before I had to put him there.

But Krissi and I would be there - once a week with the children. Perhaps that's the answer to my question. I have lived in the glass house, and I shouldn't throw stones.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do not fret--you did right by your father. In his condition he wouldn't know if you were there every week or once a month.

I remember visiting Fred's mother and she scolded us for not visiting for "months and months"--we had been there the week before.

I have told my kids when I get like that to not worry about visiting because I won't remember and I probably won't know who they are anyway.