Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ah, spring

Spring, or what we here in Swampland call spring, has come. While we still have days that have a low temperature in the 30's, we are reaching into the 80's on many days. The yard people are extremely busy this time of year cleaning the dead herbaceous plants that proliferate here most of the year, but end up quite dead during the "winter" Temperatures in the low 30's and 20's certainly change the look of banana plants. They first wilt, then become brown and dry. Quess what kind of plants are prolific in our back yard. Bananas and cannas. Both becomes dry husks after winter passes.

Spring flowering plants are all blooming. When I was teaching, I tried to get our unit on flowering plants to come at this time of year. I have azaleas in my front bed. At one time there were a lot of them, and they bloomed profusely. They were wonderful flowers to have the kids dissect to learn then parts of a flower. My plans were usually not good because we too often would be mired in the study of vertebrates about now. Flowering plants were a long way off, and the azaleas wouldn't wait.

I finally have come to the conclusion that my pin wheel begonia only blooms at one time of the year, and that's right now. I have learned to love it for its foliage. Just as well because there won't be blooms again until next year.

But, the congress of the United States has done something that destroys this beautiful time of renewal. It comes in on a early Sunday morning - about 2 am. It ruins the entire season. What is this dastardly thing? It is Day Light Savings Time. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

Being retired, this time of year shouldn't bother me that much, but it does. George still is working. That meant we are on a schedule. We are effected by this blasted time change where we are getting up an hour earlier. Just when it is daylight when the drive to work comes, it is ripped away again, and the drive is in the dark again.

During this change time, I am chronically tired. My body tells me everyday for about a month that I am forcing it up an hour early. I am not a morning person - never was. Working was a terrible thing for me. When we moved to Swampland, I didn't know the schools took up at 7:30 in the morning! I grew up with schools beginning at the more civilized time of 8:30 This is an outrage. Then when DST was thrust upon us, it almost killed me.

I really don't see the reason for the change. The sun doesn't stay around an hour longer. The amount of daylight is the same. If you need sunlight for your jobs, you get up earlier. Actually, I wouldn't mind DST - IF we stayed on it all year. I think it would be helpful more in the winter. We would have more daylight in the late afternoons. More people are functioning at that time, and it gets dark so early.

But, those in power don't listen to us. I know I am not alone in detesting this time change. I have not heard anyone praise this blasted change. If that is so, why do we still do it? Statistics show there are more traffic accidents during the first couple of weeks of time change than normal - usually pedestrian/vehicle. It's just not a good thing.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely HATE DST!!!My whole circadian clock gets messed up and I am too tired in the morning and not tired enough at night when the cuckoo says it is 11:00. "They" tried to blame the reason for DST on the farmers, while, in reality, here in Michigan it was the factory workers who wanted an extra hour of daylight so they could golf after work--or something equally inane.

My father was a farmer and hated DST--he had to start weeks before it started to regulate his cows to be willing to be milked an hour earlier than normal.

Oh well--to rant is useless.