Monday, June 23, 2008

Back at home - at last

We are finally back at home and back to a normal (whatever that is) routine. Except the routine is already not normal. Lady Bug is staying with me for the day. That wouldn't be so bad, except G is home. I told him she would be here at 8 am. As it turned out, she was here at 7:45. He slept until 9. That took the other TV away from LB. He finally got up, and breakfast was consumed about 10. She had two frozen waffles with our breakfasts. At 11 she started saying she was hungry for lunch. When G is around, lunch isn't thought of until AT LEAST 1:30. I don't care what time we got up and had breakfast. He will go forever - which means I don't usually want dinner. I guess that could be a good thing.

Anyway, after he announced that he found the bread, I got to make her a sandwich of which she ate half. Really starving I guess. He just called (12:45) with the news that he was still at the car wash, had the grocery store yet to go, and then would pick up something. She will want some of whatever, but who knows when it will get here.

Back to the real thing I was going to write about, and that is the convention. The first night should have been a clue as to what the rest of the week was going to be. It was going to be a "Welcome Barbeque." Fine. I had visions of a civilized air conditioner room for the food, and since they were going to watch trains, said room would have large glassed in windows overlooking the train yard. Was I ever wrong. When our bus pulled up, there was a tent that measured about 10x20 with the outer half in the sun.

We were in Texas for God's sake. Texas in June is HOT, HOT, HOT. The day before this event, Ft Worth was 100! The shade in the tent was mininal.

When we got off the bus, we saw the line for the food. It seems that during this convention, if the food was not catered sandwiches, it was a l o n g buffet line. We got in the line which moved surprisingly quick - that is until we were four from the food. The people who were right there had misplaced their dinner ticket. Rather than suggesting they step aside to let the rest of us get our food, the woman was allowed to stand there while she went through her purse and its 100 pockets, his shirt, cargo pants, her shirt, her cargo pants, etc. Finally she found it, and the line went on.

We were able to find two seats in the shade, and if you didn't move it was almost bearable. Fortunately there was a breeze, and that helped a lot.

We then got to watching the photographers. Now these folks are an interesting bunch! They would probably kill for their train shot. They are really serious. They enter contests with these pictures. I took some pictures of them - and their equipment, but I haven't been able to work on editing these pictures since I certainly don't have permission to use those folks images. I'll work on that.

We thought ahead and brought my stool to this. I used it only once, and things weren't too bad. I wish I could say the same for the next four days, but that will come later too.

All in all, we really did have a good time and I am paying for it now. I think the appointment with the orthopedist isn't too far away. I am really down in my knees and hips.

No comments: