Thursday, March 08, 2007

Will it be fun?

Back in January, I was very cavalier about the status of my health. This was before the lumpectomy that was followed two weeks later by the mastectomy. The thought of chemo was a dim glimmer on the horizon. I was ready for a vacation.

We have the opportunity to take private rail cars to Chicago the end of April. I was ready to do it. We had hoped to take this trip earlier in the year, but it was cancelled. By the way, we are train buffs! We love to ride trains. Anyway, this trip came up. We talked to Dr Surgeon. He said it would be fine.

That was before the schedule for chemo every two weeks fell onto my life. Other than being really scared of the effects of the chemo, I am really afraid of how I will handle this trip.
I love the train and I love Chicago. Absolutely. But we board the train the day after a two day chemo treatment. How sick am I going to be? How tired am I going to be? How much of Chicago can I enjoy?


I booked the hotel room last night. We will be there for four days, and then return by Amtrak.

I so hope I am worrying without reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call the center where you will be having your chemo and ask the nurse about what's going to happen. Make these nurses your next best friend...they know everything and are more than willing to share that information. Good luck with your chemo and your vacation.

Grandma K said...

Thank you Leeann. You are certainly someone I listen to. I will use the chemo nurse as a "pipeline" for information!