Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What's a life worth?

Insurance, whether it be auto or health, is a real pain in the neck (or place of your choosing). A lot of insurance, like auto, you have to have. Homeowners insurance is required by the mortgage company, and you have to be lucky enough to have health insurance, but my statement still stands. It is a pain.

When I got my EOB for the pet scan, my health insurance denied it. They stated that the cost was too much and it was an experimental procedure. I thought I was looking at $4500. Several weeks later, the hospital and insurance company managed to settle on a payment. I wasn't privy to the method of calclation

Yesterday, I got the EOB for the mastectomy. There were probably twelve items listed, and each one was "Hospital incidental." They had various amounts next to them ranging from $27.50 to $18,426.56. The amount the insurance will pay, and this is listed next to each and every one, is $120.75. So that means of a bill of $30,893.45, my insurance company will pay $1,449.

I knew the hospital was out of network, but I also have coverage for that. It is 60/40. Where is that shown. It isn’t. This should be an interesting journey!

Oh - on other news, the hair is beginning to go. I first noticed just a few hairs more than normal. When I ran my fingers through it, there was lots more!

Today was chemo round two - so far so good, even though the CBC showed I am a little anemic,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bills are pretty wild too. I have great medical insurance, or rather I should say that it was all done in-network. Sorry to read that your hair is falling out...do you plan on wearing hats, scarves, a wild wig or just do the bald look?

flying eagle woman said...

Although I do not comment daily, I hope you KNOW you are daily in my thoughts and prayers...I'm sorry too about your hair but would respectfully submit this to you: my cousin's hair fell out and she took that and used it as her personal statement of strength: I WILL DEFY THIS LACK OF HAIR AND I WILL PREVAIL...she still stands...I wish you pray for you and sing for you: COURAGE and a place of SPIRIT JOY from which to smile at these hard things.
HUGS

Grandma K said...

I am prepared! No hair loss is going to keep me down. I have my stable of four wigs and a pair of false eyelashes!

Thank you for your thoughts, wishes and strength.