Monday, January 09, 2006

The wait continues

Today marks day twelve of Dad's hospital stay. I cannot believe he is still hanging on - even though it is really by a thread. His respiration rate is up to about thirty six now. He cannot take anything by mouth. When I was there yesterday, I requested he get something to easy his discomfort. It only took about ten minutes for the nurse to contact the doctor and got an order for morphine. It almost immediately eased his breathing, and he face was more relaxed.

I am so sad that he is lingering like this. I don't want him to suffer. It is killing me and my daughter to see him in such a condition.

I never thought this would be as difficult as it is. Even though I have said so many goodbyes as the dementia has progressed, this final one is so hard.

2 comments:

Silly Old Bear said...

Hi,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your father. Thank you for coming by my blog earlier, I hope I managed to distract you for a few minutes...

Busy Mom said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, I hope they can continue to keep him comfortable. Thanks for coming to visit my place, and I hope you'll come again soon.