Monday, April 15, 2013

A good excuse ...

Is better than none, right?  Believe me, I've got hundreds of them.  My current one is the weather.  That's an easy one because it's beyond my control.  Can't do anything about it.

I would say we are having a normal spring here in Texas, but not really.  I always expect changeable weather.  You know, near summer temperatures one day and cool the next.  And that's what we are having with one exception.  Our cool days are record setting lows.

In a normal year, I would be relishing this glitch.  Believe me, we will have days when it is miserable.  Highs in the high 90's to low 100's with high humidity so you feel like you are steaming.   I will be wishing for the record lows we are recording now.

So why am I upset.  Well - it goes along with my excuse.  You see, this year I have planned to use that money pit we have in the backyard.  The one that when we put it in for the kids to enjoy.  The one that kept them from the city pool where all their friends were.  Yeah, that one.

We don't have a heater for it.  And even if we did, I wouldn't use it, unless it were solar.  Heading something like 10,000 gallons of water calls for a lot of natural gas.  Don't want to pay that bill.  And after it gets heated, what happens - it cools off again.  So these record low temperatures we are having are definitely negating any warming we are getting on the warm days.

So my excuse for not exercising is that the pool is so cold that I would have a heart attack if I were to venture into it.  I would get hypothermia and die.  Right in the pool.  So I can't exercise. Right?

What't that - what about the recumbent bike in the bedroom?  Well - it seems like it has a short in its wiring. You cannot set it for any resistance, and we all know that I am in such tip-top shape that I have to have good resistance.  Yeah, right.  Just using the pedals with no resistance will give me a plenty good workout.

Walking would be ok - but it doesn't take any time before the sciatica grips my back so.  This has become a vicious cycle.  My back is weak I am sure because I am so out of shape, but when I try to do something, my back feels like it is going to freeze.  Getting through the grocery store is quite a chore.  But I refuse to use one of those carts!

So I guess to begin a schedule of doing something physical (other than exercising my fingers on the computer) I will begin using the bike everyday until the pool becomes like bath water - which it will.  Then my excuse will be that the water is too warm and the swim isn't refreshing.

A good excuse ....

3 comments:

Marti said...

I uses all your excuses, plus another - it's too windy to go outside walking. lol

I remember the pool being too cold until June and then too hot until September, or at least, it was too hot in the blazing sun to be in the water without some kind of shade, and our pool only got shade after 7pm.

I told Hubby the other day that I wanted a treadmill, in the den, in front of the tv. He laughed at me.

JuJu said...

I, too, have been known to use many an excuse when it comes to exercising. This gal hates to sweat!

yellowdoggranny said...

weird weather we've been having..hot cold warm chilly..hot all in one day