Monday, August 13, 2012

Trauma drama

Last night was family dinner, and as usual, I got to do it.  I knew I had some pre-seasoned fajitas in the freezer, and I left it up to the kids to bring the guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, and tortillas.  Son didn't do what I asked which was to call his sister to split the list, and they brought all four items.  His sister got off scott free.

But it was ok.  Son and DIL just returned from a cruise that her dad paid for - his whole family.  They enjoyed it a lot.  I was worried the entire time they were gone because they were headed to Cozumel!  There was the storm also headed to Cozumel/Cancun. But they avoided it and had good weather most of the time.

Conversations pumped along as they usually do.  Daughter verbally assaulting me for deciding I have to work with Minister Sister.  She probably was doing that because she was, once again, protecting her husband for opening his mouth when he should have been quiet.   At the table I heard rumblings of political talk between G and son.  They are terrible opposites.  I don't know how son got to the stance he takes - probably his FIL.  But those conversations always get very heated!

So all the mobile little kids were fighting for position to play on the couch when Doodle tripped on her dad's foot and crashed into the marble topped coffee table.  At first I thought she was being who she is best - drama queen.  SIL was looking at her head she was complaining about.  I got an ice pack from the freezer, and we put it on her head.  I thought this was the end - until he took it away.  There was blood.  A lot of blood.

Panicking would do no good.  G and I kept our heads about us.  He finally used his paramedic training to look at the wound while I went to find gauze pads and something to clean the wound.  For some reason, I don't have any peroxide!  DIL was with me in the dressing area of the bathroom and helped me look for something.  We found betadine.  So I wet a pad, then put the betadine on because I thought it really needed to be diluted a bit.

When I saw the wound, I really thought she would have to have about three stitches.  He said later that that wasn't necessary.  Anyway, they left - washed her hair and re-cleaned the cut. When they called with the results, she was quiet holding the ice pack on her head.  I think everything is ok.

Family dinners around here are always interesting!

Peace.

2 comments:

JuJu said...

man, it is always exciting at your family dinners!!
I hate political discussions. I won't talk politics unless it's with someone with the same stance as me. I'm just not mature enough not to get emotional. (and most others aren't either!!)

I hope the baby is okay!

yellowdoggranny said...

Dexter and I have a deal..I don't talk about dogs and he doesn't talk religion.