Friday, August 03, 2012

I need an attitude adjustment

I have spoken before about my perception that we have too much nepotism in my church's leadership.  It may be just me, but I suspect there are lots more that are beginning to feel it too,  but that's not my topic today,

Those of us who are the most active in our women's group have our ducks in a row.  We manage to organize and carry out very well.  In fact, we feel like Pastor's sister, who is "minister" of social things,  only comes to our meetings to try to catch us doing something "wrong."

The first thing that irked me was one of the groups to which we minister is school district based.  She was pointed to that one by my SIL.  We eventually adopted a school where we go to volunteer for different things.  At our first Women meeting, I brought up a program this group provides to some schools in the district.  It provides backpacks to needy kiddo full of food for the weekend.  SHE said we were too small to be able to do this.  Well guess what she did this past week.  She signed us up for this program.

Today I got two  emails from her,.  The group with the pregnant girls will be the ones who will be getting our "noisy offering" Sunday.  This is a neat thing we do for area organizations. Coffee cans are passed among the congregation and spare change (or bills!!) are put in.  The director will be bringing some of the girls along with their children.  Sister wants two or three women to run a nursery for them.,  So far she has one volunteer - and this volunteer hasn't done anything else!

THEN she asked me and the other "leader" when we planned to give them the blankets and baby hats we have done for them.  Before service, after, during their Temple Talk or what.  Pastor and the worship leader need to know before Sunday because it will make a difference the way the worship experience goes.  WHAT???  Like we run on a tight, non-changing, chiseled in stone. Not.

So I know I have to get over my silly self.  It is just difficult.  We are supposed to be one type of church that is being run by those who came from the more conservative branch like that branch - I guess.  Not like any other church I have been involved with, and I have been involved with the workings of the church for 51 years.  Just having trouble.

2 comments:

JuJu said...

I say ignore the Sinister Sister and focus on the part that makes you feel good, the giving to those who are needy.

Don't let her ruin your goodness and your good intentions.

And, if that doesn't work, just smack the heck out of her. :-)

yellowdoggranny said...

another reason why I like being a pagan.