Saturday, August 11, 2012

The sea is calm

I know I didn't follow up on lunch with Pastor, nor have I mentioned Minister Sister.

Those things are calm right now.  When we (Pastor and us) sat down at the table his first statement was "I have  no agenda."  So perhaps because I am a coward or something I didn't broach the subject.  He did mention his sermon.  He said he remembered the things Larry (our dear, dear, departed previous pastor and friend) went through at the church where he was Pastor (and I his organist).  PC just said he didn't want rifts  taking place in his church so he didn't have to go through the things Larry did. He was referring to the, as he called them, parking lot conferences.  I think he knows they will happen regardless.  Sometimes the subject matter is something that should be listened to and evaluated.

I did find the culprit who mentioned the subject however.  It was my SIL.  I do not know why he chose to do this.  I have a good idea, but I am not sure.  I just wonder if he also added that his wife wants Minister Sister to be removed from the payroll.

As for as Minister Sister, I will, do and have respected her realm of duties.  So with that in mind while I was preparing for the Women's Group meeting I emailed her with a question.  I would like for the women to have another outreach.  I would  like us to have some "parties" for an area "nursing home."  That's in quotes because there are so many institutions that fall under that category -- like assisted living, etc that it's just easier to say nursing home.

Another of our group had expressed an interest in doing that earlier in our meetings.  I can't believe we have had only about six meetings total.  We have accomplished so much: the shower for the pregnant teens, painting the annex room (Sunday School) wall and putting Christian phrases on it, planning and implementing the church picnic, getting help organized for a family whose home was once again flooded in the rains we had last month!!  Anyway, it hit me that Jackie Sue gave parties for the home in her city each month pretty much on her own, and if she can do that our group of 10-15 certainly could.  Well, I think they are a bit tired from the shower, but we did put it on the books to have one for Valentines' Day.  Long way off, but most of these ladies work, and many have other things going on in their lives that take a lot of time.

Now that I have gone "around Jone's barn" as my mom would have said, MS liked the idea, and hit us with one for the school we adopted for OCTOBER!  They talked with the principal about this in May, but we are just hearing it.  It would be Herculean to pull off.  It is a "Trunk n Treat" which the members of the church did for just our little congregation (about 75 normal attendees).  This would be an entire elementary school plus who knows how many!!  So we said we would help.  We could not possibly host it.

As I said - the waters are smooth.  I don't expect anything ugly to come from our decision.  Sundays are too busy to talk about things, so I emailed her with the decision.  I expect an answer, but I don't expect her to question why we came up with what we did.  The only thing she may react to is our hope she will let us set up and run a list of volunteers to really clean the church on a regular basis.  We aren't saying bad things about her cleaning skills, but she has too much other things, and the place is FILTHY.  We have other groups coming in to use out facility now, and we really do need it clean.  It was what my other church did when it was in a mission status with no money to hire someone.

We'll see!!

Peace.

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

ah, organized religion.

JuJu said...

You seem more positive about it all today. I hope that is a sign of things to come.

I'm not sure if I've told you all this before, but I'm also a Lutheran. (born and raised CAtholic, but they're not so welcoming to the divorced...) Anyway, I was very involved in the music ministry for a long time, but burned out totally. So, when you write these posts, I totally know where you're coming from.

Grandma K said...

JuJu - I sat the other day and figured I have been in the organization of churches for 51 years. I began as organist at 16. I've seen a lot.

My parents tried to make me a Baptist, but it didn't take. I'll have to tell my story sometime!

I knew we really were kindreds.