Friday, October 07, 2011

Technology - bah humbug!

It seems I get farther and farther behind in the technology field these days.  I have been having a real love/hate relationship with this relatively new laptop.  My son got a Mac, and I am wishing I had done the same thing, but I wanted something that would be cheap inexpensive.

I spent the day a couple of days ago fighting with an embroidery program.  It shows icons of what the design is when you open your folder(s).  That is a nice time saver.  I got the stupid idea to look for updates.  Well, you know what that meant.  The whole thing crashed.  I wasn't able to see a single icon.  No real biggie, but a definite time saver.  I do love that program.  I guess that's why I have spent $80 on it total.  You see in my tech savvy way, I deleted the main program.  So I just gave up and bought another license - along with a DISC this time!!  I know - slow on the uptake!

When I got that program re-loaded, I was getting an error message about Explorer.  I am not an Explorer user, but that stupid program was messing with me making CD's to move the embroidery files from here to the upstairs computer.  So, once again, I ventured forth.  I reloaded Office 2010.  I figured that was where the problem had to be.  I still don't know it that fixed that problem or  not, but it caused another one!

When I went to my picture file, none of the jpeg thumbnails would open.  I had to be in a photo editing program.  Well - that just wouldn't do.  So I waged war again today with that problem.  I finally fixed it.  I can see my jpegs.

But, and you knew there was a but, didn't you?  Another of the embroidery programs is acting all wonky now. It is the one that allows me to change from one type of embroidery file to another so I can use them on my machine.

And - speaking of my machine.  Yep - battle there too.  It has been squeaking - a lot.  I know it needs its yearly cleaning and check up, but I just didn't want to give it up for three days.  It has been acting a fool. I have to cut out thread nests about three times for every 1000 stitches it does.  It broke a foot (on the machine - not mine) and ruined my brand new wonderful embroidery scissors when I was trying to get rid of one of those nests.  At least I was able to complete all the fancy stuff on the photo album cover for the youngest granddaughter!  I had to take it to the old workhorse to sew it together however.  So I took the sick machine to the shop a while ago.  I was just there yesterday for club meeting, but decided I would wait until we went to the SSB to take the machine in.  Nope - got to take that drive again today!

Such is my tale of woe.  Technology -  bah!  So with all the problems I have been trying to solve - I still don't have new pics of the SSB loaded onto the computer.  When I couldn't see what I would try to upload here, what was the use?  I have embroidery projects lined up to the ceiling.  I do have dress making to do - so I CAN do that.  Isn't my life just pitiful - don't answer that.  I know the answer.  This month reminds me of just how lucky I am every day.  I really don't forget it with pink ribbons everywhere.  I will try to get those pictures posted tomorrow.  G will be gone again tomorrow and Sunday afternoon.  I should be able to get a lot done!

Peace.


3 comments:

JuJu said...

I've got to say, you hung in there a LOT longer than I ever would have.

I hope today will be a computer easy kinda day for you!!

Marti said...

I agree, you stuck with it a long time. I love technology, but hate when it messes up.

BTW, I think I'm going to get the Janome Horizon 7700. Do you have any opinions? I saw the new 12000 sewing machine with built in embroidery machine, but it's too far out of my reach.

Grandma K said...

Marti - I haven't seen the 7700. I have an OLD 3000 that is a workhorse. It has some built-in stitches, and it does a great job. I also have the 11,000SE. I don't need the SE part, but my "pride" upgraded - which is another story in itself. Over all, I do like Janomes