Thursday, October 27, 2011

I really don't get it

Seriously, I am verrrrrry puzzled.  It seems that no plumber repairs leaky faucets these days.  They REPLACE them -- to the tune of several hundred dollars a pop.

Now, if the little guy who is trying to get started had called me back - he very probably would have fixed my leaky kitchen faucet.  That little baby is/was about 15 years old (my, how time flies - seems like I bought it last year), and was a very good, sturdy faucet.  It developed a leak - probably from us not turning it off properly.  It was a single handle, and we would carelessly center the handle to turn it off.  Well - it was leaking unless we really paid attention to what we were doing.

I called Rich weeks ago.  He never called me back.  So I called a big outfit.  I am angry with the plumbers I usually use - but that's another story.  Anyway - we had a leaky faucet in the back yard, and the kitchen sink.  The bill for those repairs was $1600.  Yep - you read that correctly.

The faucet in the back had been "jerry-rigged" so many times, and the pipe itself was badly rusted.  I knew there would be dollar signs with that one.  But the kitchen??  Replace the whole thing?  What happened to repairing the leak?

The same thing happened when the other company was called to repair a leak in the hall bathroom.  It was a good Moen faucet.  I KNOW there is a cartridge in them that can be replaced - and the leak stops.  Nope - the whole thing was replaced.  I thought perhaps this company would be into repairs  not replacement.  I was wrong.  Jeesh!

In other money spending - Simone had her semi-annual check up.  She is well - vaccinated freshly, but she is well.  The whole staff celebrated that.  They know us well.  Very well.  She is such a sweet dog they all love her as much as I do.  The vet said he was delighted to see her doing well.  We have fought her queasy stomach for years, so it was nice to have a well dog check up.  It still cost a bundle though.

Such an exciting life.  I need to schedule a couple more repair people.  The handle on the dishwasher broke - wonder if it will have to be replaced (the whole thing like the faucets)?  Then we have the a/c heater checks.  Don't you wish you had such an exciting life???

Oh, Ju Ju - Shadow did finally come down from the china cabinet.  It took him a couple of days to realize Angelica was really gone.  He didn't even bite me for about a week.  He's completely back to "normal" and I am ready to bring that dog back!

Peace

3 comments:

JuJu said...

Another "we are kindred spirits" moment: we've been dealing with plumbing/faucet issues all week as well! Luckily, Steven was able to fix ours, although it did take him ALL day. I must remember to tell Taylor to find a plumber to marry. She'll be set for life!!

I'm so glad to hear that Shadow is down and that the china cabinet survived!

Susan Adcox said...

Too true! Very few repairmen actually repair anything nowadays.

MarkD60 said...

Even electronics are not worth repairing, it's cheaper to buy a new one.