Thursday, August 26, 2010

The deed is done

I have ordered the new laptop. My daughter's ex-boss gave me some advice. He agreed with my initial thought, the only thing he suggested was improving the battery. So I did, and now the computer is on it's way.

I DO have to laugh about this though. I finally decided to by a Dell. If someone Goggles this and Dell gets another buyer or whatever - well let it be. My desk top is an ancient old Dell. I originally bought it because it was produced in Austin and they had "home" service. I was tired of calling "over there" for technical help. Silly me, when i bought the Dell, I thought I would get help right here in the good old USA.

I had some glitches at first, and that's when I came to the conclusion that I was going to be helped - over there. The home service is me trying to understand the IT person with the thick accent while I am deconstructing my computer. Now, if I wanted to open that baby and unplug components in there, I would have accompanied my best friend to classes to become an IT person (and make a sh*t load more money than a teacher). I was just beginning to have the real pain in my knees, and crawling around on the floor to attach/detach and open and gut was not easy!

But on their home page they say that now help comes from the US. We'll see. Oh, I got distracted - as usual.

Now back to me laugh. I found the model I wanted. Not really expensive, not really inexpensive. I set it up two ways. I looked at the 24 hour delivery. It was $100 more than going through the "building" process - which you can do with 24 hour delivery. But the cheaper way I went said that shipping would be September 2 (today it would be the 3rd) so they could build MY computer. Shipping in 24 hours would be available for $69. How funny. They think we are imbeciles! But I should have a brand new computer delivered September 9.

Ah - life in cyberspace!

Peace be with you.

No comments: