Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Ummmm

I stayed with the grandchildren last night because K and S were both out of town on business trips. I knew I would be doing this for about a month and a half. I didn't see that there would be a problem - well perhaps with step granddaughter. She sometimes can pull real boner stunts, but that's mostly with K and S.

K promised that she would wean Monkey Boy and have him sleeping in his crib by the time I was going to stay with them. Guess what! She didn't. Monkey Boy is 15 months old and still nurses. Last night it was cold turkey! There was just a bottle and there is no comparison there. Yesterday afternoon he would realize Mom wasn't there and would cry so hard. This is in addition to cutting two molars.

M came downstairs when she heard him, and I decided to go ahead and feed him his dinner. Fortunately she knew to give him a cup that allows for a straw. This made him happier. Then she let him have some of the chocolate milk she made herself. Things went quite well until about 7:45. He realized that there was still no mom. The crying began again. M then said that the best move at that point was to take him for a drive. Worked like a charm! The only drawback was that when I got him back, they were watching a movie. That meant I missed "Boston Legal." As the credit card commercial states: Drive with Monkey Boy - $2.30/gallon; missed show - no real set amount; sleeping Monkey Boy - PRICELESS!

I was able to put him into the crib. Lady Bug sleeps on a pallet in their room. I was able to put her there after she fell asleep. About 2:30 Monkey Boy woke. He DID take a bottle this time. By 7:30 I had them both in bed with me. Now I'm ready for a nap.

All in all, it was a good experience, but I sure do wish she would wean him! Especially if I have to do this again.

No comments: