Thursday, November 03, 2005

Rough Roads

As I mentioned last, we took "Wannabe Sports Car" sedan with us. In our part of that particular Texas county, the roads are not paved. It is in the hill country where boulders are the common topographical items. The roads, in other words, are not at all smooth. They are, in fact, the complete opposite of smooth.

Two years ago, my son had a real sports car. It was one of the only times he didn't have a truck. They were coming up to the property to hunt. At that time, our private road was really in terrible condition. Our "neighbors" were living on down the road, but H had not retired yet. He was still going to an adjacent town to work everyday. I really don't know how he managed that road twice a day, but he did. Getting back to my son, by the time they arrived, he was completely shaken. The car drug on rocks several times. He dreaded the trip back out also! Needless to say, they bought a truck in a short time so that trip would never have to be taken again.

Since H has retired, he bought a bull dozer and started to work on the road. D, his wife, told him that when they moved out there H had promised D that her mother could drive her car all the way to their house. Being a good husband, that is exactly what he did. When my husband asked if I thought Wannabe would make the trip, I told him I really believed it would. It would be the vehicle to take on out little day trips since it gets about 26 miles per gallon.

So the time came. Off we went. Things were great until we got to the county roads. They were rough, but Wannabe handled them like a champ! Not even a rattle. Then we made the turn from the first to the second. Obviously Happy Farmer (this I'm not making up - that is his name) had had his crew out to grade the road. This means turning the rocks over. There were many very loose rocks left in their wake. Wannabe wasn't happy. She felt like she was going to spin around. Forget the "traction control" - it seemed to be non existent. So as hubby in the green monster sped off, I was left to creep along.

When I finally got to the private road, he was out of the truck waiting. I guess he was about ready to come looking for me. He asked if I thought Wannabe would make it the rest of the way or should I park at his brother's place. I said I thought all would be well because H had done such a goods job.

So we started down the hill - SLOWLY. Things did great. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that I let a small mesquite scratch the side when I went over the first cattle guard. (Side note in Canada, these are known as Texas Gates!) We got to our cattle guard and things were still good. We started up the hill that our road is on, and I realized we really should have bull dozed again. I was almost at the top and it happened. I drug. What a noise! Fortunately there was no damage - at least it hasn't shown up yet and that was two weeks ago!

So just why didn't we have the road redone when we had other work done this year. The answer is simple. Our phone line was run right down the center of our road. In the ensuing times since the phone was put in, the weather has been almost rain forest wet - especially for this almost desert setting. The road is washing out. So now we have to weigh our options. Glad the son works for the local phone giant! He may get to string phone line!

No comments: