Sunday, November 06, 2005

Things didn't go as expected

Tuesday I had an appointment for my regular dental cleaning, and I was really feeling great about it. For the first time in a year there were no dental emergencies! No teeth were suddenly broken, no pain in any of my teeth, gums healthy and all that good stuff. The cleaning went so well. No pockets in the gums. Not much plaque. Great!!

Then the dentist came in to survey my mouth. When he asked for the camera, I knew I was in trouble. He took several pictures, then put them on the screen for me to see. The last top molar on the top was cracked. Even though there was no pain, if it were to be lost he couldn't even bridge it. After braces (and an abscessed tooth when I was 12) I'm already down a molar. I also don't have any erupted wisdom teeth, and the one I have unerupted gives no trouble - thank God! So the decision was that we would crown that molar ASAP.

Then the dentist began talking about the other 4 he want to crown, but these are more cosmetic that functional. Some unattractive fillings and one chipped tooth are the reasons for that. Suddenly we are talking about $5000. Internet, I am a retired Texas public school teacher. I simply don't have that kind of money! So they have this plan that you can get credit for 1 year without interest. I (silly me) thought we were referring to the $1000 plus some change for the one. Great! Finance that for a year. That won't hurt a bit. NO! We are talking the whole $5000. There is not that much extra money per month for me to do that. So, at this time, we are doing the one molar. When that treatment is complete we will then face the other. That means no!

My dental problems are my fault. For several years our dental insurance provided for a clinic. They were terrible! Consequently, I didn't go as I should. Even when I went, they missed problems I knew were there. When our insurance changed, and we could go to the good dentist, I still put off going. Then the teeth began breaking, and the odyssey began - and continues yet!

No comments: