Tuesday, May 31, 2011

And ...

In keeping with the apparent theme that is surfacing in my life - here we go again. What I Did Over the Labor Day Holiday.

Things were peaceful around the ol' homestead last weekend. Saturday was a Saturday - nothing special. We sat around watching the swimming pool fill - again. You see, we had a chemical imbalance our ex-pool man couldn't/wouldn't fix, and I was beginning to believe all pools were actually were the place that creatures lived in to attack unaware people. Seriously is was like pea soup this time. Well that happened last year, and we had to refill the pool - all 28,000 gallons. Would you believe we actually fired that guy. He couldn't.

But enough about the pool. Sunday was church and then dinner out to celebrate DIL's 30th birthday. We came home and everything was fine - until ... G and Simone went out so she could take care of business. When she came back in, she was doing the pre-vomit routine. She was heavily salivating which causes excessive licking. I was "girding my loins" to clean up vomit.

Then I had a great thought. This worked before, and by golly Dr Grandma K is going to do it again. I went to get her the car-sick pill, and 1/4 tablet tranquillizer. She came to me - we downed the pills and then wanted to put her heavy head with the drippy mouth on my bare knee. Yuckkk.

G called her and like the good dog she is (and still expecting her three cookies for doing her business) went to him. She laid down at his feet. All is still normal with the exception of her nausea - I thought.

She was going to get up, and acted like she was too weak or had no control of her hind end. I went to her and she wouldn't lift her head. Her eyes were mostly covered by that third membrane. I really thought she was dying - right there in front of me. We both thought - stoke.

G said for me to get dressed, and he moved the car to the street. Simone heard all this, and by the time I got back in the den - she was headed to the door. That amazed me.

We loaded her into the back seat of the truck, and G told me to drive. I really didn't want to. When we lost Taz about 8 years ago, this was the same with the exception of being late at night while Taz was on a Sunday afternoon. Visions of that summer day were with me.

I don't see well at night so I was fighting the tears that kept coming. I just didn't want to lose another boxer - on the way to the clinic.

Lets cut to the chase so to speak - when we saw the vet. Apparently the tranquillizer - which is usually ok hit her really hard. No kidding. The time lapse between dose and her checking out was about 10 minutes maximum. Because she was apparently very relaxed when she got it - it knocked her out.

I guess she associates being loopy on a tranquillizer with going to the SSB. She was ready and willing to go!

So you can tell - we paid $100 to bring a healthy, but drunk boxer home. If that is ever what it takes to keep my Simone going, I would pay it monthly if it came to it. I know we dodged a bullet. It is going to be real one of these days. She has to be 8 years old - at least. She has been with me through some really rough days. We have her still and I am so glad!

Peace be with you.

5 comments:

JuJu said...

Oh my gosh, when I started reading this, I got a lump in my throat. I am so glad the only thing bothering her was too much fun juice.

Oh Simone!!

Grandma K said...

Thank you so much JuJu. I know it will be coming, but had it happened last night it would have been so much harder. I still hold myself responsible for Taz - I should have ridden in the back seat with him and let my SIL drive. If Simone had died on the way - after I gave her the pills - well, I think I would still be in a dark room alone.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheyenne said...

The outcome of your story was such a relief for me. Nothing worse than losing a beloved animal. Thank goodness things turned out OK.

Marti said...

Oh what a relief! You had me worried at the beginning.

A few years ago we had some kind of fungus in the pool. I didn't think we would ever get it fixed. We didn't have to drain the pool but we weren't able to get in it for at least a month, and many trips to the pool place with water samples. Hope yours is ok now.

yellowdoggranny said...

I was afraid to read it all the way..glad everything worked out..know that scared the crap out of you..