Saturday, May 28, 2011

Funeral

I guess I am really ashamed that we as a family weren't terribly upset at G's mother's passing. She is in a better place, and for that I really am glad.

To say we will miss her, not so much. You see during her life, she wasn't too concerned about being around us. We were not close - at all.

She would have all four grandchildren come to her house for a week. What she really wanted was the two from Austin. I finally got tired of hearing how my kids were treated - either poorly or ignored unless their grandfather were there.

This woman was one who would turn on the favored grandson. He was a picky eater. That was well known. If they went out someplace and happened to eat out, all had better eat everything on their plate. M didn't. She would take the food home, and that was what was placed in front of him until he finally ate it (or slipped it to one of the dogs like my two with the "Copper Pennies" that she loved to serve and the kids hated).

Every holiday of note, Christmas, Easter, birthdays, were all spent in Austin. We could count on our fingers the number of times they were here - and for something else that wouldn't conflict with the other crew's celebration.

I will give her credit for one thing. My mother passed the year before Daughter was born. When both of my children were born - she was here to help. I did appreciate that.

So when we are asked if we are OK now, the answer is yes. Their grandchildren in Austin saw her weekly. My grandchildren saw her on her 90th birthday in December and I don't remember the time after that.

I could go into G's memories of his mother, but I won't. Let's just say that her actions to HER grandchildren was not too far from her treatment of her son, but without the beatings with belts, straps and the like.

Yes, I am glad she is no longer in pain. I thank God for that. I know it was really bad in the last few years, but it is hard to morn someone you really don't know for long. May she rest in peace.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

JuJu said...

I think you summed it all up perfectly. And, I am impressed with your family that you even were able to pay her last respects.
Isn't family odd at times?

I hope you have a week with "no events!!"

yellowdoggranny said...

take a deep breath and then let it go..all of it..and then get on with living your life with the people that love you.