Thursday, May 26, 2011

So many things

That's how I feel right now. I've been away for a fairly long time, and I am just full of topics I want to bore you with. Before Brandy's death, I had invited my long lost friend to the SSB. Before the time we met in Mason - we had not seen each other in 40+ years. That was so much fun.

Of course that time at the SSB was wrought with anxiety on both of our parts because there were health related issues all around. Hers settled in about 3 hours with her mother returning home. G's was the death of his mother.

I'm going to talk about his mother. We saw her on Tuesday (er -rather he saw her = I hid behind the idea that I had to stay with the dog and cat in a hot truck). He called his brother on Friday about 6 pm. A little later his brother called with the "news."

So we packed up in a rush on Sunday to come home to get clothes for the funeral. We put the dog and cat with the vet clinic for bording, and took off on Monday. Daughter was driving her vehicle with the 3 kidlets. She wanted me with her. That was fine. It was working all around until there was the miscommunication.

At the same time we entered the city limits, SIL called. He was having to fly from Chicago for the funeral. His company had a booth at the National Restaurant Association convention. I called G to tell him SIL had arrived. Apparently there was a lack of communication. Daughter thought he was going to split off to the airport. He, well I don't know what he thought. When I called him and told him - his smart-**sed answer was "So? What am I supposed to do?"

Daughter was already irritable. She was worrying about her job at home knowing she had a lot of stores to visit before the end of the month, and then how her husband was going to get from the airport. G was grousing that he had to be at the funeral home before 5 ( it was after 4 when all this came down). She was saying that we shouldn't have stopped for a leisurely lunch, and he was saying "if she had been ready when we got to her house." You see, when those events were happening - no one was upset about anything! So I caught the brunt of both issues!

We got to the viewing on time. All was pretty much calm then - at least no one said anything to me. Thank goodness. My friend came to the viewing. Bless her heart, I was so surprised. She got to meet the rest of the family. She called today on their way to Alabama to visit his family to tell me how much she enjoyed meeting my family. She said she would take my Lady Bug anytime we get tired of her. That caused me to burst with pride. She is a terrific girl, and that came through again.

The funeral went off without too much a hitch. G only got a little sad because of all the mentions of his dad. We both found some humor (if you call it that) in that apparently his mother wasn't as loved by her community as she wanted us to think. There were four flower arrangements - two from the family, one from BIL's best friends, and one from my niece's company. One plant from my friend. Everything that was said about her for the most part really centered about G's dad. Hmmmm.

We got home fairly well. We had a couple of blow ups after we returned to the hotel and home. I think we just had a bit too much togetherness. And again the one at home was complete miscommunication.

But here we are now. Things seem pretty good. "And that's what I did on my vacation!"

Peace be with you.

1 comment:

Marti said...

Oh my, what a time you've had. Now you deserve a real vacation.

Did you get to have your friend over to the SSB?