Monday, May 25, 2009

Sleep deprived

For some reason, sleep is eluding me - except for those hours after 6:15 a.m when G's alarm goes off. For several months, I have been reading before I go to sleep. Recently I fall asleep while reading, and this means dropping the book. So I assume I am sleepy, so I turn off the light and prepare to go back to sleep.

Sleep doesn't happen. It is almost as soon as the light goes off, my eyes open - wide. I have always had a problem falling asleep. When it gets dark, my mind races. That got better for a while, but it is back with a vengeance again.

When I have tossed and turned for a while, I'll turn the light back on and read some more with the same results. My eyes close, I fall asleep. So I turn the light off again. This usually goes on until well after midnight (bedtime is 10:45).

I am usually sleeping well by 6. Then the alarm goes off, and I get up. I will lay on the couch "watching" the news. When G leaves I will sometimes fall back to sleep for about an hour.

I just wish I could sleep when I am supposed to. I am so tired of tossing and turning. I know it is said you shouldn't read before bed. It has been relaxing me. I really think the new a/c has more to do with it all than anything else. With the old one, you could hang meat in the bedroom because you were trying to cool the rest of the house. The new one is better balanced and seems to run less - a lot less. So I am used to a cold bedroom and now is is cool. So I have set the thermostat to be cooler between 10 p.m and 6 a.m. It was that way last night - and I slept better. There is hope.

May your problems be no bigger than mine. If the a/c temperature is as bad as our problems get we are really blessed!

Peace.

2 comments:

Judy said...

You said, "when it gets dark, my mind races." I am the same way. For a long time I was on a schedule of staying up until 4:00 and then going to bed. I slept really well when morning was coming--usually not getting up until 11-noon--that was when I lived alone and could do whatever I wanted. I have found, now that Fred is in the hospital...I have become slightly agitated when it gets dark. It is as if the troubling thoughts come stronger after dark? I take 1/2 Ambien and it helps--not the Ambien CR however as that gives me nightmares and groggy in the morning--just the old fashion Ambien half a 10 mg. (5 mg)

Grandma K said...

I have only had one prescription for Ambien. That was during chemo. I treated those little pills like gold, using them only when I really, really needed them. When it came time for a refill, it was denied. I may hit up the cardio doc!

The other pills that I horde are the pain pills that I didn't need with the various surgeries. When the arthritis gets bad, I will break out one of those.